Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

(RATITE) RAT VIRUS

Ye Olde Prospector

Jan 23, 2005
Phippsburg, Maine
I am not really a poison collector but save them if I find them. Haven't been able to find out much about this one. Digger O'dell said it the company was in Chicago and the virus was in use from 1910-1913 for "Scientific destruction of rats,mice and field mice with a contageous desease fatal only to these rodents" Sounds like biological warfare to me. Guess it would qualify as a poison bottle. Haven't seen it listed in any of my bottle books though. Anyone have any idea to value on this one?

Attachments

diggerjeff

Jul 4, 2004
central illinois
im not sure this bottle could be called a poison bottle. i would be more inclined to call it a med. than a poison. it did not contain poison. flu virus is injected when we get a flu shot, and the bottles they come in dont say poison on them. i give the dog its shots and the virus bottles do not say poison. im not sure what to think !!

ronvae

Aug 14, 2004
if you go to www.cdc.gov & search on "rodenticide" there is an article on how Salmonella-based rodenticides tend to kill people, too. Some countries still use them, but they were outlawed most places a long time ago. Sorry can't find anything on the company other than a Digger O'Dell question...

Ye Olde Prospector

Jan 23, 2005
Phippsburg, Maine
Hi ronvae and diggerjeff,

Thanks for your input. Poison listings can be quite confusing. Some listings I have seen call a lot of things poisons. Antiseptics, 3-in-1 oil, even bleach and ammonia are sometimes included. Can cause a lot of confusion. There were a lot of products that were put in bottles with ridges.ribs etc that were not always poison. Thanks again.

Cliff

Ye Olde Prospector

Jan 23, 2005
Phippsburg, Maine
I started this thread back in 2005 just curious if anyone might have any ideas on this bottle ?
Looks like it must have been an experimental rodenticide product that never caught on. Should it be qualified as a poison or what ? Still in my collection.

Cliff

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshLisa