Recent diving finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ChrisP1

Reaction score
I guess I need to gather more torpedos although the rounds would be too much for me to bring back to the boat if I picked them all up.

Almost all of the torpedos are blobs, but a few are what I think are called "tapered" with the flat sided applied top. I like the fact that some are blue and some are taller and have a very pointed bottom. The round bottoms include crown, tapered with fewer blobs.

I still plan on setting up a large display of the rounds and torpedos and would be interested in hearing if anyone has figured out a good way to display these (I guess vertically, but maybe horizontally en mass) that does not hide the bottom or top detail. I like the idea of showing one of each kind on a wall or along a shelf near by bar.

Thanks again!

LC

Reaction score
That's one of the bad things concerning the round and torpedos is how to display them . If a person has a lot of room , then there is no problem in displaying them laying down . I saw a display built once where the person , spaced the shelves a good distance apart for the longest sized one he had found . He actually cut slots in the shelves spaced so far apart where he would slide the torpedo or round bottom neck through the slot and let them hang by the blob tops . Looked pretty good .

Brains

Reaction score
Shoot, i usually think torpedoes or rare and unusual- you could casually slip a few into local antique stores and get me to buy 'em if you for some reason felt like coming to ohio for just that purpose.
I think they're really cool, especially the blue blob tops- common or not they're still old, and you could prolly get a few bucks each for 'em from folks like me who don't have one.

hang by the necks is what i would have done for a display-

great finds! thanks for the huge pictures!

beendiggin

Reaction score
Hi Chris, welcome aboard. You got some nice bottles there. Diving can really pay off. I just dig in the land dumps, but that works out pretty good too.

ChrisP1

Reaction score
Hi beendiggin...thanks for the warm welcome. I was digging in my yard last year and found pottery, glass, pipe stems, etc. from the 1720-1740's but I've never dug anywhere else. You glass folks would enjoy the onion bottles I found, but none of them whole or even complete. I also found a circa 1680's spoon in the same hole.

My real passion has been local redware of which I have a huge collection of mostly restored pieces from under local homes.

I'm hoping to find the privy or privies on my property, but the house is only 1870's. There was likely a much earlier structure there though given the older stuff I found. This oldest material was all very shallow however and mixed with 18th century brick pieces.

All the lots on my street had homes dating to the 1600-1700's so I hope to stumble on something exciting eventually. I have permission to check out one lot nextdoor and I'm working on getting access to a small creek/pond edge on another, but the lots are so big and I don't know where the homes were exactly and it will likely take me a while to locate the privy if there was one.

I will be sure to post if I find anything!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Hey Chris, welcome to the forum, some of those bottles are real nice and it looks like you have great potential there.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
nice bottles here is info on the D. G&K patent bottle.. most likley held mineral water do you have pics of the bottom of this one ..

http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABShowBottle.aspx?Bottle=54948AA&Firm_Number=54948

a nice early one you have there.. did you find it off ny in the hudson??

The demotts is jersey city and was most likey soda

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
I see your out on the north fork I have done lots of farm irrigation work out there in riverhead and orient point.. nice area out the. would never know your in zoo york.. Great area for really early american finds you live in.. was great potato country at one time..

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC