Recent diving finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ChrisP1

Reaction score
Hey Guys (and Gals?),

I'm new to the Forum and new to bottle finding/collecting, but I wanted to share a couple photos of some recent finds. I do not have the bottles here with me at the moment so I cannot provide any better shots beyond these iPhone photos, but you get the idea.

I've been finding mostly round bottoms (both smooth and embossed with various "Belfast" names) which I know are very common and nearly worthless as well as many torpedo bottles which are almost all smooth, but I did find two that are embossed with a New York name. These last two are blob top and of the what I guess would be called the "ten pin" type as they do have a very small flat spot on the bottom although the overall profile is torpedo.

The photo below is what I believe to be the oldest of the bottles I have found with the nicest being the Davenport and Co. soda on the left. The bottle on the right is from NJ from what I could find online.

I will post a couple shots of the torpedos and round bottoms just to give an idea of what I've found.

I look forward to any comments you may have an apologize in advance if this stuff is too mundane or my pictures not sufficient to warrant any comment...

9E0FC5AEB8734C239DC771874581EE45.jpg

Attachments

• 9E0FC5AEB8734C239DC771874581EE45.jpg
    9E0FC5AEB8734C239DC771874581EE45.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 62

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Nice bottles Chris. The Davenport is one i've been looking for for quite awhile. Let me know if it ever becomes available. Nice finds!

All the best,
~Tim

LC

Reaction score
Hello Tim and welcome to the forum , the two sodas at the top are quite nice , then too I have a weak spot for sodas . I think back about the first unembossed torpedo soda I ever saw over twenty years ago . I was visiting relatives in Maryland and came across one in a small shop . I gave ten dollars for it thinking it just had to be something very rare lol ! Of course I found out later that was not the case , I do think they are neat , even the unembossed ones .

I wish I had the capability to do some diving , too old and broke down to think about it now . I know of a spot in the Ohio River that I am sure would produce some really good bottles . There was a pig bitters taken from there years ago . Oh well , maybe in the next life .

ChrisP1

Reaction score
Hey L C,

Thanks for the warm welcome...

I don't think it's ever to late to dive!

When I found my first round bottom and torpedo while diving, I was pretty psyched, but now I have so many I don't even bother to pick them up unless they look different in some way. During my last dive I passed up 20 round bottoms and about 10 torpedos.

I was hoping to find a market for both through a local antique shop or similar, but I don't think there is one.

At the same site I have found two whole stoneware crocks, decorated but not signed, and many other smaller ceramic straight-sided vessels that must have been used for jam, jelly or mustard, I guess. My wife loves them so it keeps her happy!

If I find any other interesting bottles I will post them.

I do want to post pics of the two embossed NY ten pin/torpedos...

LC

Reaction score
I believe if it were me I would pick up the torpedoes and round bottoms that is as long as they had blob tops . You could sell them for a few bucks to an antiques store possibly and other people as well who didn't have one .

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: L C

I believe if it were me I would pick up the torpedoes and round bottoms that is as long as they had blob tops . You could sell them for a few bucks to an antiques store possibly and other people as well who didn't have one .
around here (south central Pa)the slick torpedos sell for around 8-10.00 each some have theres for 15.00 cause most people think they are rare an expensive bottles.. To bad your torpedos didn't have some embossing on them...

LC

Reaction score
You are probably right as for selling to collectors , but I was thinking in terms of if he wanted to sell them quick to a dealer . I have not seen a plain torpedo sell for a good long time . It is possible he could sell to a dealer at five bucks each if that is the case .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26