Repro Jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LegalQueen

Reaction score
I have been lucky not to purchase any repro jars *knock on wood*, but I'm wondering, what do you ( by 'you' I mean forum members) do when you figure out you accidentally bought one? do you keep it? toss it? chock it up to experience?

coreya

Reaction score
There's not one single answer to your question, it depends on under what circumstances the bottle was bought. If it could be returned and you don't like it do so. If you got it cheap cheap and you like the jar chaulk it up to experience and keep it and learn. One thing I would not do is toss it as it was purchased for a reason so it would fit in to a collection somewhere. Just my opinion.

LegalQueen

Reaction score
thats kind of what I was thinking. I have come across a few green repro jars that I really liked and since I know I will never be able to afford a genuine green jar I figured it would be kind of nice to have it on my shelf with my blues and clears. I did get lucky and get a couple genuine topaz and an amethyst however..but the greens seem to be really expensive

botlguy

Reaction score
The so called reproduction jars or anything else are nothing more than FAKES. The question is: Do I want FAKES sitting next to AUTHENTIC jars just because they're pretty? I don't like FAKE glass or FAKE people in my life under any circumstances. It would be like parading a FAKE Celebrity around among your regular friends just to impress them.

If you were giving lectures or classes or such for the purpose of education than possession of FAKES would serve a purpose. If I were to somehow acquire a FAKE I would destroy it. Fakes of any description damage the society in which we live.

MNJars

Reaction score
Like Jim, I have made the decision to stop any and all accumulation of reproduction jars. I have about 3 or 4 reproduction jars in my collection, but they are being used for other purposes or waiting to be sold. I've used an emerald green repro midget pint as a toothbrush holder and a repro 3 quart butter jar as a wine cork holder. If you get them cheap enough they can make good jars for alternate purposes.
Some reproductions hold significant value to some collectors since they were done fairly well - namely the dreamcolor midget pints.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Wow, Jim. You sound like someone who has been burned - badly -. Personally, I normally do not buy repro jars. If I find one in the midst of a collection I purchased, I clearly mark it as a reproduction and I sell it. Just like the original poster here, many collectors feel that's the only way to get a great color. Why shouldn't they? They know it's a repro, and don't try to pass it off as original. I think where I have an issue is when a dealer claims it to be original and soaks some unsuspecting newbie (or oldie for that matter). I feel the same way about "nuked" jars. If you like it and know this is an altered color, why not put it in your collection? However, I don't own any. As for me, the top row of my color shelf contains pretty much a full set of dream color midgets, along with a set of Kerr bells - and a set of 3 original J.M. Clark jars. The rest of the color shelf is original and genuine. I think they all look great, albeit some are 1970's repro.

6890D8E0E1F44BEA81F41720BBAF131F.jpg

Attachments

• 6890D8E0E1F44BEA81F41720BBAF131F.jpg
    6890D8E0E1F44BEA81F41720BBAF131F.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 83

digginthedog

Reaction score
I agree with Tammy 100% , ALL your jars on the color shelf look GREAT (Thanks for sharing).... If someone is collecting repro/nuker jars on the up and up, Who cares really(shrug)... If you get burned by a repro , keep it (once bit twice shy)...JB

MNJars

Reaction score
I agree Tammy - For most collectors, the only way they'll ever get their hands on a "black glass" jar or other fanciful color is to get one of those dream color series midgets.

By the way - great display! Thanks for sharing a picture. I'm trying to figure out better ways to light my displays. Do you just use a fluorescent tube light fixture? I've been toying with LED light strips and a few others and just haven't found the right combination yet.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys. This display (and the vast majority of the collection) is in my garage which is lit by standard overhead flourescents. Since I live in California, you can probably see the earthquake putty anchoring each jar. Although Sacramento isn't near any major faults, we can still feel a jiggle if there's a big one in the bay area.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty