Reproductions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

radamwarner

Reaction score
I bought a potlid recently at a show: "Home Made Potted Meats Manufactured by the Army and Navy Co-Operative Society" In the center there is a illustration of two people . The Base is chipped but the lid is fairly intact but I wonder if this lid is being reproduced and if so, how does one tell.

radamwarner

Reaction score
PS there are some of these listed on EBAY currently that look identical in regards to condition.

Black_Boogers

Reaction score
A few years ago, I purchased a "Bear's Grease" potlid at a modest price at an antique guild in Portobello Square, London, England. The kindly, older gentleman assured me that it was authentic.

When I returned to the States, I gave it a good washing with dishwashing detergent under warm/hot water. It didn't take long before the varnish began coming off, revealing a decal underneath!!! AAARRRRGGGG!!!!!! I immediately stopped washing it, and it still displays ok, but buyer beware!

HTH,

Rick

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day radamwarner

The Deantiques website is a good source of information about pot lid reproductions, fakes, etc

The weblink is http://www.deantiques.com/PLG/reproductions__copies.htm

Cheers

Dirranbandi

Gidday

Reaction score
Dirranbandi

I see a recent update on the link you mentioned above that describes a new and worrying development in the production of repro`s. In this case the rare Rob Smith bears grease lid.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter