ROYAL CROWN COLA BOTTLE / GLENSHAW GLASS CO.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, Mike

I noticed you forwarded a quote of mine two times but didn't include any comments of your own. Are you having a problem on your end that I can help you with?

Bob

cheromike

Reaction score
Thx Bob; In my collection (begun in 1984), I have a 1934 embossed bottle collectors call, "carbonated crown." and the terms "Royal Crown Beverages," instead of RC Cola. The all-embossed design is very significant with the main device a king's crown with stylized carbonation bubbles radiating from it and floating up over the shoulder of the bottle. This lack of RC Cola term implies that originally, Royal Crown was a family of flavors that bottlers could bottle and cap in all different kinds like NEHI is done. In fact, there is a version of this bottle embossed with the term, "ROOT BEER" beneath the crown at the middle. My bottle is for the Birmingham, Alabama. bottler and is made by the celebrated furnace in Jackson, Mississippi, that is part of the Knox Glass Bottle Works system. The bottle works emblem on the bottom is a capital "J" inside a circle and the number "4" which I claim to mean is 1934 (that is not verified). I have other versions of this bottle with Circle-J and "5" and Circle-J and "6". Note: Sometimes the circle is a keystone. Thus, I conclude the embossed 12 oz. Royal Crown Beverage bottles were discontinued in favor of the ACL pyramid bottles after 1936. --Cordially, Mike Elling, Sharon, Tennessee

cheromike

Reaction score
Hey, Mike

I noticed you forwarded a quote of mine two times but didn't include any comments of your own. Are you having a problem on your end that I can help you with?

Bob
Thx Bob; I had to reboot my system in order to enter my reply. --Cordially, Michael Elling, Sharon, Tennessee

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike

There is one of those early Royal Crown bottles on eBay. They were the predecessors to the later Royal Crown Cola - but in name only. Both were Nehi products. The bottle on eBay has the J-Circle mark and a 2 - which I attached some information about.

Bob

Knox Glass J-Circle (1)(sha.org).png
Knox Glass J-Circle (2)(sha.org).png

cheromike

Reaction score
Here's my 1937 bottle. It was made by the Owens Illinois Glass Co. at their Plant No. 9 in Streator, Illinois. It's not in mint condition but it will do. It took me several years to find one in decent shape. I was on vacation a few years ago when I stumbled into a junk shop and the owner had a whole bunch of them. But this was the only 1937 in the lot. I paid $5.00 for it. It has a debossed pyramid with a star and a lot of other cool features. It's embossed on the heel with "Property of Nehi Bottling Co. - but it's mine now and I ain't giving it back!

Bob

View attachment 249015 View attachment 249017View attachment 249018View attachment 249019
Thx Bob; When I was a little boy growing up in the 1940s, the men in the barber shop showed me an RC Cola pyramid bottle similar to yours. They told me to shut one eye and look at the front label with the other eye half shut. Then, they said that the yellow lower portion of the label is a real "Kings Crown!" Then they told me, "DO YOU SEE IT?"
Naturally, I nodded my head and gained their approval. To this day, I never understood what the point was. But I got a free drink out of it! --Cordially, MikeEinTennessee

cheromike

Reaction score
Hi Bob; I have also heard at the bottle shows, that the number is really a franchise contract number to keep all the bottles consistent to the factory standard. So for a certain brand, the factory standard was kept unchanged throughout the system. --Cordially, MikeEin10C

cheromike

Reaction score
Thx Bob; It is important to remember that NEHI's Par-T-Pak flavors were initially issued for alcoholic mixers after repeal of Prohibition in 1933. It was not until later that Par-T-Pak became better known as, "family beverages" with the popularity of the 24 to 32 oz. quart bottle drinks. The family sized bottles were not promoted at first by the franchises. It was all the glass factories that thought about it first! --Cordially, Michael Elling, Sharon, Tennessee

SODABOB

Reaction score
Mike

I have several replies to your comments that I'm working on starting with ...

I never heard the part about closing one eye to see the crown - but I have heard if you look at the entire label you can see what appears to be a crown which I roughly outlined here. However, I have never seen anything that says it was intentional.

(More later)

Bob

RC OI Bottle 1937 Front (Cropped Crown).JPG
RC OI Bottle 1937 Front (Cropped).JPG

SODABOB

Reaction score
Another aspect of the label is what some collectors call a "Trapezoid" which I have referred to as a "Flat-top Pyramid." The only thing I have found so far that addresses that portion of the label is found in this 1943 article where they describe it as a "Truncated Pyramid."

Bob

(See the 4th paragraph)

Royal Crown Cola Truncated Pyramid 1943.png
Truncated Pyramid Sudan.jpg
Truncated Pyramid.jpg

RC OI Bottle 1937 Front (Cropped Pyramid).JPG

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
This Tom Tucker paper label bottle is currently on eBay. Notice it was made by the Glenshaw Glass Co. Also notice that it's from Pittsburgh - which is the same bottler I posted a 1937 ad for (Post #7). I already contacted the seller and asked them to check for a lip code and a photo if possible. It says they will be gone until the 18th of August but I will let you know when I hear from them. I thought it would be interesting to see when it was made. I might bid on it but I haven't decided yet. Based on my searches these paper label examples are extremely rare. If anyone else wants it go ahead and place a bid. My interest is primarily for research purposes and I wouldn't pay more than the opening price anyway.

Bob

View attachment 249012

View attachment 249013

I heard from the eBay seller this morning and he said the bottle definitely does not have a lip code. Even though I can't say for certain it seems to suggest that the bottle was possibly made before the lip codes were started in 1935. That is if the lip codes are accurate? If anyone is interested in bidding on the bottle it ends on Saturday morning.

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2