Royall Lyme/English

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

celticgrian

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Irene have a passion for glass but have become interested in bottles, have been reading a lot about how to date but would like an opinion on this one, thank you.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Hi Irene. All the Royall Lyme bottles I've seen look very modern, like the past ten years. The one you posted in the pic / description thread is the first I've seen with a stopper. That kind of stopper is usually pre-war (if it's the original for the bottle), at least here in England, and looks maybe 1930s.

celticgrian

Reaction score
Hello deepbluedigger, thank you so much for your reply, from what I have been reading on how to date bottles if the seams continue through the top but not through or over the lip it dates it 1880-1890. And the stopper fits the bottle perfectly, but I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. Where in England are you from? I was born and raised in Scotland but did spend some time in England. I have another bottle I cally it my "wonky" bottle that I may post sometime when I have the time, till the next time Irene. PS did you go to the link there are more pics there.

LalaGirl

Reaction score
Hello,
Just had to chime in on this thread, because I recently bought a Royall Lyme bottle with a stopper, thinking it was at least 100 years old (chose it over an umbrella ink, and several other good bottles!)
Found this on the internet when I got home:
"4 years ago
Hi. I've been identifying and coming up with approx prices for my dad.s antique bottle collection. I came across 2 of these bottles and was thrown for a loop. The bottles appear old - Blown In Mold - side mold seams - multiple bubbles in glass - tooled applied lips. But I can find no references to the company before 1957.
So I go to the Royall Lyme website. They describe the bottles perfectly. Apparently the Company was started ub 1957 in Bermuda by Anthony Gaade, They use the old technique of blowing the glass into clay molds that was the way bottles were made from 1860s - 1900s. These are not old bottles, just bottles made the old fashion way.
I.m seeing prices of $6.50 (without stopper) - $17 (with the crown stopper). I don't know if the pple selling these know if they are not antiques.
These bottles are a great example of how even a seasoned antique bottle collector like my dad could get fooled.
Company is still in biz."
Mine looks just like that, bubbles and all... I was so disappointed to find that I could have spent that money on a true vintage bottle. (And we were traveling, so I can't just go back again right away...)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator