RUST!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
RE: RUST ON BOTTLES --- My Method

I use OXALIC ACID powder. I buy it at my local hardware store, in the paint section.
It is used fro removing rust stain from surfaces prior to painting.
It comes in a one pound box similar to Arm & Hammer baking soda, and cost about $5- $6 a box
DIRECTIONS:
1) Place about 2 gallons of tepid water in a plastic pail and mix in about 1/2 a box of the oxalic acid powder.
2 ) Soak the bottle in the solution for 2 -4 days (more or less).
3) Remove the bottle from the solution, scrub with a stiff bristle brush, and rinse well with clear water. Allow to dry.
I've used this method for rust stains for years and almost always have had great success.
A word of note: The solution gives off some fumes that could turn bare metal (such as tools) rusty, so it's best to keep the pail covered and in a well ventilated area such as your garage or barn. Also, I rinse my hands real well in warm water after each use, and have never had any ill effect to my skin.
Good luck!!

Always looking for good Rhode Island embossed bottles and ACL's

Leasacks

Reaction score
RE: RUST ON BOTTLES --- My Method

Thanks! I'll try that. I did use the Iron Out a for a couple of soaks and it did get rid of alot of the rust but the bottle is just in bad shape with alot of nicks in them. Otherwise, the bottle looks much better than it did!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter