Sacramento bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
I'm new to bottle hunting in Cali (I'm a Florida native), and an acquaintance that has been giving me tips gave me this bottle he found in Placer County. Since I've only found shards so far out here, this is my favorite CA bottle, because it's my only bottle. [:D]

He said the engraved letter was common.
DSCF22482.jpg

DSCF22492.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Gabrielle,

Welcome to A-BN, and NorCal, too.

He said the engraved letter was common.
DSCF22482.jpg

You're losing me here. Are you speaking about what appears to be the letter "R?"

"California Breweries History: Buffalo Brewing Company

In 1889 Henry Grau founded the Buffalo Brewing Company in Sacramento, California. Grau had previously brewed in Buffalo, New York, and apparently liked the name. He built a large brewery building said to have been the largest brewery west of the Mississippi at that time. In 1897 Buffalo Brewing merged with Sacramento's City Brewery.

Buffalo beer was available locally on draft or in bottles, and was sold under a number of names over the years including the Ruhstaller's, Gilt Edge and Buffalo brands. At various times, Buffalo produced lager, bock and ale.

After Repeal of Prohibition, Buffalo completely modernized the brewery with a $1,500,000 investment. Full production resumed in 1934. That year also saw the introduction of canned beer at Buffalo. Unfortunately the company failed to recapture its lost sales and Buffalo Brewing closed in 1942. In the 1950s the classic brewery was torn down and is now the site of the SACRAMENTO BEE newspaper's offices and printing plant." From.

Is yours a crown top?

OI-336.jpg

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
Yes, the "R" on it......my friend said someone told him that is common, and he may have told me why, but I forgot. Thanks for the info!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Oh yeah. The "Sackamenna Kid" who helped to make "Baghdad By The Bay" a tourist's Mecca. My favorite irreverent leftist, and one who helped to put Willy Brown on a much undeserved pedestal. Interestingly enough, he suffered from an "affliction" that we both have in common.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960