Sanborn Map question?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Worldcupkeeper

Reaction score
Ive been looking through the sanborn maps online and I dont really know what the outhouse would be, I have an idea but I wanted your opinion. Are these little buildings the outhouses? Would it be worth digging?

2FFC0981692A435D86189F74B9F51263.jpg

Attachments

• 2FFC0981692A435D86189F74B9F51263.jpg
    2FFC0981692A435D86189F74B9F51263.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 69

Jim

Reaction score
They could be privies or sheds. Privies were sometimes located at the back of the lot, along the alley like those small buildings are. Look for depressions and probe the site of them to see if they were privies. ~Jim

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Thats a alley running down the middle and should be privys to the back of the alley,thats a row house set up,what year was this sanborn? Rick

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
It appears that those little boxes are "double troubles", or back to back privies that are shared by two properties. Look at the location of the structures and you'll see that they sit right on the line between houses. 1903 is a bit late for outhouses in most communities, but not in some. Many smaller towns were't served by a modern sewer system 'til later in the second decade of the 20th C.

A quick probe at the location will tell you the situation. Get after it.

logueb

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one for awhile, and I believe that they could be the back to back privies. I think that one of the frustrations of locating privies in the South is that they were shallow rather than the wood or brick lined ones up North. We used a privy when I was a kid. No joke, pure fact. We did not get "Indoor plumbing" until I was about 10 years old. They cleaned the privies down here on a regular basis. The town that I went to school in had a guy with a two wheeled cart pulled by a mule that he used to clean out the privies in town. You did not want to get behind that thing in the summer. Remember cars did not have air-conditioning and you rode with the windows down.
Anyway, if they were made to be cleaned on a regular basis the alley would make sense. You could clean both sides from the narrow alley. They may have done this due to the hot climate of the South and for sanitary means.

epgorge

Reaction score
Loqueb,
How far do these Sanborns go back? Would they have one for an old tavern (1880) in Carlisle Mass.? How about 1850 in little towns in Vermont? How would I get them?
Thanks!
Joel

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles