Sat. Privy Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
This one came from the use layer and I believe it's early 60's. There were several op puffs right in there with it so I was disappointed to see the smooth base but it's still a nice crude old bottle. I didn't even realize it said Bridgeport on it till I got it home and washed up. I do like it but I'm not attached to it. I mainly like the local stuff and you did me right on a good one so if you want them just make me an offer. Shoot me an email or give me a call.
As far as the CT/KY connection I have no clue? We don't dig Alot of CT stuff down here but I have dug some other patent meds with New London on them. I'll have to dig them out and see what they are. Did you all have alot of horses up there back then? This state has always been big in breeding and racing horses. Chris

tigue710

Reaction score
good point... Connecticut is a big horse state, The man who introduced the Morgan horse even had a hunting lodge a few miles from my house. Also most New York blue bloods had horse farm estates in my area around the turn of the century. I wouldt be surprised if a few Derby winners were born down the road!

I would really like to see those other New London Patents you have, not to many are known and fore someone who collects New London such as myself and cant dig them (all the dumps are gone, seriously), there top shelf.

subsoil

Reaction score
I dug another variant of the JB Williams bottle up here in NH, I thought it was a druggist but the shape suggested a cleaning or soap product, turns out they were a major barber supplier and covered quite an area. Our variants likely contained shaving soap or lotion.

http://www.lib.uconn.edu/online/research/speclib/ASC/findaids/JBWilliams/MSS19670001.html

EF8197769F1E48A3870EDB18BF31EA59.jpg

Attachments

• EF8197769F1E48A3870EDB18BF31EA59.jpg
    EF8197769F1E48A3870EDB18BF31EA59.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 54

dollarbill

Reaction score
Chris just wanted to say nice fines. I allway like the small bottles but that flask is cool .Good luck diggen Chris.bill

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi chris, love the eye water and the flask. never saw a flask like that one. when does it date from? good luck on future digs. rhona

lexdigger

Reaction score
Thanks. I thought that Williams had a cosmetic look to it. That makes sense now! The flask dates to around the 1870's but we've seen them up into the toc. The pit this one came out of was all 60's/70's stuff. Chris

JGUIS

Reaction score
Nice digs man. What about the coal connection? When did your area get railroads, and when was the closest coal boom? That's how alot of the area near me got started.

lexdigger

Reaction score
That's a good idea. The oldest maps I can find for Lexington are 1833 and it shows the railroad on there at that time. I'm not sure when the first big coal boom was but based on what I've seen in privies they were using it regularly by the 50's/60's for sure. You could be onto something. I'll have to do some more research. Chris

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hello all:
Yeah both of em are common. When I dug them I thought they might be rare or scarce and the bottles were a different shape. Glastonbury is a rich area now and I thought there would be a real market for em. Put em up on ebay and didnt get much action. Still a nice bottle none the less.
Madpaddla

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology