Schmidt Coke Museum Auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
It is 1924.. Not sure about glass maker but I know its not root. . It just has initials in-between the plant # and date

ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Uncle_Jarvis ~

Great! I'm glad to hear it arrived safely ... and right on scheduled. By the way, what year is yours dated? And made by which glass factory?

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
U_J ~

I'm curious ... what are the initials you mentioned? And are they on the side or heel/base of the bottle?

Thanks.

Bob

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
They are on the heel of the bottle .. Once I get home later tonight I'll have to look.

ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

U_J ~

I'm curious ... what are the initials you mentioned? And are they on the side or heel/base of the bottle?

Thanks.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
U_J ~

Thanks. I'm glad everything worked out like it did. But it's too bad your bottle isn't worth $240K. [:D]

FYI ... The copy/paste is from the internet. The insert is from Bill Porter's book ... (But since you likely already know this stuff, this is for those that don't).

Bob

576 EG 24

[*]EG (along lower heel of bottle, preceded and followed by various numbers) ... Graham Glass Company, Evansville, Indiana (see Graham). Usually found within a string of letters/numbers, often in conjunction with "G23" or "G26", or similar numbering).
[/align][/align]
[*]Graham Glass Company, Evansville, IN; Loogootee, IN; and Okmulgee, OK (1907-1929). Another plant location also was operated at Chekotah, OK until 1923. Graham owned by Owens Bottle Company after 1916, plants became part of Owens-Illinois in 1929. [/align]

CEECA0CD92C94AC0BE711E4141595440.jpg

Attachments

• CEECA0CD92C94AC0BE711E4141595440.jpg
    CEECA0CD92C94AC0BE711E4141595440.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 65

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
Cool stuff indeed BOB.. Once again I really appreciate your generosity .. [:)]

Speaking of Owens.. I know this is not Coke related but thought you may find this bottle I acquired interesting. This really old mineral water bottle (mint condition) form this maker who was later bought by Owens.

More info:

Embossed on back in large script: E. Rogers. Embossed on rear heel: EHE Co. which stands for: Edward H. Everett Company (Newark Star Glass Works), Newark, OH (1880-1904). Plant merged in 1904 to become part of the Ohio Bottle Company and in 1905 part of the American Bottle Company. American was purchased by Owens Bottle Company in 1916, and in 1929 this plant became part of the merger that resulted in the formation of Owens-Illinois Glass Company.

pics.

KGrHqUOKpwE6VrqRJBOtTeSNGw60_3.jpg

KGrHqIOKkQE6PIllH-YBOtTeM8lw60_3.jpg

KGrHqEOKo4E6lkUi98BOtTePr1w60_3.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
U_J ~

Cool bottle! Is that the one you're sending me for Christmas? [:D] Just kidding ... don't you dare do anything like that. And if you do, I'll just send it back! You don't owe me a thing. Besides, you don't have my address anyway.

Anyhoo ... Have you been able to precisely date the brand? Based on what I know about that type of bottle, I'd say it has a "Lightning-Type" closure/finish, whose peak use was from the mid 1870s to the early 1890s. Of course, in some cases it was still being used well into the early 1900s, but those are typically exceptions to the rule. That's where "Brand Research" plays a major role in dating certain bottles. I suppose your bottle "might" be a "Baltimore Loop" type, except that I don't see an inner plug-ring where the seal would sit. But whether "Lightning" or "Baltimore," I really like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
Hey BOB..

I dated this one to be the late 1890s and it either held mineral water or beer. You made me think about this bottle because it has to do with an early acquisition of Owens

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
~ A letter to Earl R. Dean ~

Titled:

"The Bottle Within The Man"

Dear Mr. Dean:

Having recently completed the reading of your son Norman's book, "The Man Behind The Bottle," which I consider a "must read" for all Coca Cola enthusiast, I am taken back to that historic day on Monday, June 28, 1915. I'm sure when you woke up that morning you had other things on your mind besides the designing of the most recognized soda bottle in the world. And even when Mr. Chapman J. Root called you into his office shortly after you arrived for work in the mold-shop of the Root Glass Company in Terre Haute, Indiana, you must have thought it was to be just another routine meeting like so many others that preceded it. I can only imagine what your first thoughts must have been when Mr. Root read the form letter sent to him by the Coca Cola Company inviting his and about thirty other glass factories to submit a design for a new and distinctive bottle for Coca Cola. But what I can't imagine, and is a question I would dearly love to have answered were it possible, is when you and the Root company auditor, T. Clyde Edwards, were on your way to the public library to conduct research that might suggest an idea for a botte design, ...

... what "other" ideas for a bottle design came to mind "before" you arrived at the library?

Having designed so many bottles prior to this for other companies, I have to believe that at least a few ideas were forming in your mind. Of course, as your son's book clearly illustrates, it wouldn't be until you and Edwards found the Cocoa picture in the Encyclopedia Britannica that the idea would fully come to mind. But "what if" the two of you hadn't stumbled onto that sketch? I wonder what other amazing design you would have come up with? (Which I'm sure you would have!) I just wish I could have been in the Peerless limousine with you and Mr. Edwards that morning. Knowing what I know now, I would have asked you a million questions, with my number one question being ...

... what images are you having right now for a new and distinctive Coca Cola bottle?

I suppose we will never know the answer to that question. Nor will we likely ever know what the Coca Cola bottle "might have looked like" were it not for your incredible talent and amazing insight. So let's just let it remain at that and appreciate the fact that you are not only the "Man Behind The Bottle," but also, "The Bottle Within The Man."

Merry Christmas from ...

Sodapopbob & Family [:)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
... and as long as the contour bottle exist, so shall the man who designed it!

37A8EAB835C544E5986BAE76FB71C17E.jpg

Attachments

• 37A8EAB835C544E5986BAE76FB71C17E.jpg
    37A8EAB835C544E5986BAE76FB71C17E.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 68

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter