Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

scotish bottle.

RC

Oct 25, 2006
California
this bottle was found in a central american jungle. and is belived to have been brought there by the first british explorer. the markings are as... on the side it reads; Symington& Cos - pure coffee essence - Edinburgh the bottom has the number 1760 on it. i was wondering how old it is. and any other info on it.

thanks.

i tried to upload photos but they wont work, any help. they are well under the 2000k limit.

heres the link.....

http://www.crepinsekphoto.com/scotish_bottle.html

RC

Oct 25, 2006
California
i tried that, i just keep getting a message say there was an error putting the file on the disk. maybe when i get the time i'll put them up on a page and link it.

deepbluedigger

Jan 12, 2006
Yorkshire, England
The Coffee Essence bottle fits into the date range 1890 - 1915. Coffee essence was very popular in Britain and elsewhere from the mid 19th century onwards. The number on the base not a date: it's a manufacturers code number, probably a mold number.
The most common type of British coffee essence bottle is Patersons Camp Coffee, from Glasgow, but there were many, many other manufacturers. I don't recall seeing this one before, but the general type would be most likely to turn up on sites in the UK dating 1900 - 1910.
Hope this helps.
DBD

GuntherHess

Dec 13, 2004
Frederick Maryland
If it was an American bottle I would guess of a date of around 1870-1880 but obviously its not american made. Scottish glass making techniques may have lagged behind, I really dont know enough about Scottish glassmaking to say for sure.

RC

Oct 25, 2006
California
thanks guys.

does anyone have a guesstament on the worth of a bottle like this?

deep blue digger said there was some uk sites that might help. can you point me to one?

TROG

Sep 27, 2004
South Australia
Hi R C,

The Symingtons coffee bottle dates from around 1900 - 1915 and is a very common houshold type bottle found here in Australia. To be honest over here you would be unlikely to sell one because of being so common and I personally would have re buried over the years maybe a hundred or more of these bottles .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xina