Shard ID Help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wolffbp

Reaction score
Can anyone help ID this shard? (Matt?) It's an aqua medicine form, beveled edges, hinge-mold, open pontil embossed with the letters "R R I C K" and a small S above the K. The bottle would be approx. 1-1/2" wide.

D6A4037B1E7C44BDB4B9D55E78763ED1.jpg

Attachments

• D6A4037B1E7C44BDB4B9D55E78763ED1.jpg
    D6A4037B1E7C44BDB4B9D55E78763ED1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 35

wolffbp

Reaction score
Excellent find Joe! I looked on his site too. But was mentally stuck on Merrick. I could use a better photo of the side panel to confirm a match but it looks good.

Brian

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Here's an excerpt I found mentioning Herrick's pills....(plus a cool description of an old drugstore)[:)]

A fine article appeared in my local historical society's newsletter some years back, titled "The Medicine Man 1910" and featured memories of the Sayville Pharmacy as written by Mort Brown, and for the following paragraphs I have used it extensively for reference.
The shop was small, perhaps 20 feet wide, with half a dozen steps leading up to the front door located in the center of two large windows which displayed the show globes, filled with colored water, that reflected colored lights throughout the interior of the shop. Inside the shelves went from the floor to the ceiling, and there were many cabinets and showcases filled with displays of belts, bandages and bottles. Patent medicines lined the shelves, and bottles and more bottles were neatly arranged on dusty shelves, many of the labels having faded with the passage of time. There was a dusty old mounted owl high on a shelf beside a display of mortar and pestles of various sizes. The entire shop had an odor of antiquity that pervaded the stuffiness, but the cure alls were what would catch your attention. For example there were Dankey's Magic Pain Extractor; Pink Pills for Pale People; Pulomina Syrup; Seaweed Tonic; Vegetine, the great blood purifier; and Herrick's Pills, Plasters and Powders. Dr. Hammond's Nerve and Brain Pills and Dr. Rose's Arsenic Complexion Wafers both seemed very interesting! There were pills for curing liquor, tobacco and morphine addiction, electric liniment, blood pills and a worm syrup. Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable compound was boldly displayed on the shelved much to the dismay of the more modest women folk who were very hush-hush about it.
While the sign over the front door read "C. F. DeVries/Pharmacist", the quaint little old man who shuffled around behind the counters was widely known to all as Polly DeVries. While you would never call him Polly personally, how the name came to be is lost to the passage of time. His advice was sought by all for its common sense, and his suggestions were felt to be as good, or better than those of the doctors.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4