sherry wine bitters unusual mold markings what do you think?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
"Peened out" in my understanding is simply a cheap method to avoid making a new (expensive) mold by pounding out unwanted information no longer relevent or accurate from the old mold, usually cities that closed their office, or partners that no longer exist. Putting a price in a mold was rather risky, I would think, and somewhat unusual to be removed. If you're going to up the price, I would imagine they would factor in cost for a new mold, so I speculate these transformed molds were temporary untill the new one(s) arrived. Just a guess. Great bottle and likely a scarce varient? Jack

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
This isn't the same bitters but has a similar mold rework.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171028162251?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Oldmill

Reaction score
Very interesting thanks for posting that photo. Wonder if the two bottles were made at the same glass house?

ethanxxx

Reaction score
Oldmill.. your bottle is listed as 161.5 in the Ring/Ham book. Although it's not listed as pontiled. We definitely have the rarer version. Yours is only the second pontiled one that I've seen, in addition to mine. I think the guy who wrote the article in AB&GC has the smooth based version. I remember asking him about it, because I thought I had an unknown variant also. I could be wrong though.
-Andrew

F7C33718F2B9460486436FC18850D517.jpg

Attachments

• F7C33718F2B9460486436FC18850D517.jpg
    F7C33718F2B9460486436FC18850D517.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 96

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I couldn't see the peening location in the picture; and couldn't get to the full picture of the other one. Peening had to happen in a lot of the first sample molds that were needed to have a glass sample to get the product approved for production. Iron moves but not much. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I agree Red and this is a tough one. I'm thinking the whole thing was cut or chiseled out an a plate was added.
Were the rivet points intents or raised? How was that done? Thinking as a negative like a photo is always hard, or at least more difficult in 3D.[:)]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I just went back and got to the pictures of the one sold. It had an iron slug or block inserted in the mold and the lettering cut in that inserted block of iron. I went back to the bottle illustrated and I couldn't see an inserted block or any peening.
RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Here's what they could have done. The mold was say 2" thick, ½" was taken out and a ½" plate put in. Small holes were drilled in and larger shallower holes cut after. The the rivets were hammered in after with a point to fit. Depending on the tools you should have an indent in the glass or a protrusion.
This or a similar experiment should be safe to try at home. [:D]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I went back again and checked both bottles - I couldn't see any peening but they both could have had the products descriptions slug inserted. The one that was sold had a strange lettering echo showing but it didn;t how peening.

I have saved a lot of mold cavity repair pictures and samples and have a blog in process to show them. The most recent one I have found was a plain round plug inserted in a bottle mold where someone must have had to repair a bad ding in the cavity wall. It is a plain round black glass bottle.

Thanks for the showings- you started my day off right. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26