shipwreck bottle finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello' I would put some liquid wrench in the top. set it out in the sun and let the heat help get the sealant softened. The sun could heat the contents enough to help lift it up.. It is a very interesting bottle, in my opinion. RED Matthews

MichaelFla

Reaction score
As part of an historic research team, I would think that when you open the preserves they would be tested to determine what, exactly, they are, as well as the state of preservation. I have occasionally heard of products dating from the 1820s to the 1870s being tested and found to be still theoretically viable as a food source (meaning they were still preserved and had not soured or rotted).

Rika

Reaction score
I am new to this but could this help. "Underwood's history reaches even further back than B & M's, dating to 1822 when an Englishman named William Underwood started a small condiment business in Boston. Beginning with mustard, Underwood soon began selling ketchup, marmalade, cranberries, and pickles, which were stored in bottles and glass jars produced by Boston glassmakers. Underwood shipped his products all over the world, and by 1836 he had outgrown the production capacity of the local glassmakers and was forced to turn to canisters." http://www.fundingunivers...b-g-foods-inc-history/

barney00

Reaction score
MichaelFla said:
As part of an historic research team, I would think that when you open the preserves they would be tested to determine what, exactly, they are, as well as the state of preservation. I have occasionally heard of products dating from the 1820s to the 1870s being tested and found to be still theoretically viable as a food source (meaning they were still preserved and had not soured or rotted).

That's what we hope to do, and why we are leery of using chemicals that could contaminate the contents. I tried applying heat to the next with a hair dryer (thinking it might melt the wax seal, if there was one), but that was not successful.

barney00

Reaction score
Hi guys-It's been a while since I last posted. We are planning to get back out to the wreck once the weather improves. In the meantime, please check out a Kickstarter campaign we just launched to fund dedicated filming trips to document some insane wrecks (including the suspected BLACK JOKER), and also feature cool cave exploration, extreme spearfishing, and feature some various marine science topics. The Kickstarter page features just a few of the projects...we have many other cool sites up our sleeves! We hope you will support this project to produce the UA webisodes, which could hopefully lead to full network support.
Please check out the link below, enjoy the promo video, and hopefully support the project. We have lots of cool incentives - from shipwreck books to artifacts (bottles!) - in recognition of your contribution. If you can't support the project financially, your assistance with sharing the link will also help us towards our goal.

https://www.kickstarter.c.../underwater-adventures

Cheers,
Mike

glass man

Reaction score
GREAT POST! YES WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Wish I could see more different shapes of the bottles in the video..especially some CATHEDRAL PICKLES [A FAV. OF MINE!] Are the bottles you show pics. of the only ones you got from the dive? Probably will get some BLACK GLASS from there too...oh the possibilities..KEEP THE INFO AND PICS. COMING! JAMIE

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Ditto on everything said... nice jar! Sea water may have ate all the iron away?

There were way to many scorpions down there. Unfortunately prolific in the gulf. Good finds and safe diving to you!

barney00

Reaction score
Got back out to the wreck to do some more work...clearing a top layer of bottles in one area to inspect cargo below. Bottles recovered included many more mini style Bordeaux bottles, large Champagne bottles, and more of the odd preserve bottles. One of the corks of the mini Bordeaux bottles was in excellent shape and stamped "J.L. Duret, Bordeaux". It appears Duret was a producer of fine olive oil, and likely was the contents of these small bottles. Some of them had their contents congealed like butter, further supporting this theory.Here is a video we produced documenting the dives:https://vimeo.com/131561437Cheers,Mike

goodman1966

Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent follow up ! Please keep us it mind as you bring up the artifacts. We love this stuff ! Mitch

sandchip

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and the excellent video! Very informative.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie