shipwreck bottle finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barney00

Reaction score
Maybe it's not threaded...I thought I read about antique threaded preserve bottles somewhere but could be wrong. It is definitely sealed solid though. No budging it...

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
MichaelFla said:
I don't see the threads either. In the third pic it looks like you can see a glass layer in the seal. Maybe it was just placed in and then sealed with paraffin? I've never seen anything like that so I'm not familiar with it, but it's intriguing.
I agree, and also being a food bottle/jar, they were utilitarian in general and less likely a candidate for such a costly modification when a standard wax seal would suffice, which is what I think I am seeing. The glass stopper, while highly unusual, is not unseen. Last year I dug a small jar with a similar stopper containing olives and they were well preserved and dated to the late 1850's. My 2 cents worth is these are slightly predating the civil war and the wine bottles likely were bottled earlier and allowed to age, like 12 year old scotch. Not unusual to find different alcoholic bottles older than the context of their surroundings due to this aging factor. I'm sure more will be revealed as it gets excavated. Great finds and loads of potential for some really rare ones! Please post them when you can. Jack

goodman1966

Reaction score
That stopper is very unusual, but I like it ! Maybe it's stuck due to the sugar inside. Great stuff Mike !

adshepard

Reaction score
Welcome and great finds. I dive for bottles off the old steamship wharves in Maine. Disovering an old steamship wreck is fantastic. What is the condition of the wreck? How deep is it? Tell us more! Alan PS - I should be in the water this weekend looking for more artifacts.

adshepard

Reaction score
barney00 said:
Here are some additional pics of the jar I just took...I think that's a pontil scar, yes? [attachImg]https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/download.axd?file=2;665304&where=message&f=photo 1(2).JPG[/attachImg] [attachImg]https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/download.axd?file=1;665304&where=message&f=photo 2(2).JPG[/attachImg] [attachImg]https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/download.axd?file=0;665304&where=message&f=photo 3(2).JPG[/attachImg]
I just realized you are with AUE. Nice video. So many lionfish, it's unbelievable. The sea floor is littered with bottles, that is so cool. I bought an AUE t-shirt many, many years ago. Alan

barney00

Reaction score
Thanks. The wreck is largely intact, but obviously all exposed wood (majority of upper decks and hull) is gone. What is left is the outline of the wreck, machinery, and cargo. It is in deep water (i.e., well beyond recreational diving depths). We suspect the cargo area has a lot to reveal, and plan to properly document the site prior to further examination.
adshepard said:
Welcome and great finds. I dive for bottles off the old steamship wharves in Maine. Disovering an old steamship wreck is fantastic. What is the condition of the wreck? How deep is it? Tell us more! Alan PS - I should be in the water this weekend looking for more artifacts.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Interesting finds' I wish every one take the time to "print out the embossing of words that are on their pictured bottles and jars"" All we can do us guess about what might be identified. You mentioned that the find was overly deep. I have no idea or experience of diving with today's equipment - but old bottles - aren't worth too much risk to anyone. RED Matthews

barney00

Reaction score
RED Matthews said:
Interesting finds' I wish every one take the time to "print out the embossing of words that are on their pictured bottles and jars"" All we can do us guess about what might be identified. You mentioned that the find was overly deep. I have no idea or experience of diving with today's equipment - but old bottles - aren't worth too much risk to anyone. RED Matthews

We are not diving the site specifically for the bottles. The wreck is drenched (pardon the pun) in history and we are working to document it. The bottles are merely a part of what we expect to be a large and varied cargo from what could be an intact Civil War blockade runner.

Btl_Dvr

Reaction score
Mikey,Glad to see you've made it over here to get some info on the bottles. Lotta knowledge over here.JayOh, and congrats again on the find!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie