shovel and anchor

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of age on these?

The first set of pics is of a primitive shovel? Maybe one of you divers found somethin similar?

The second set is of an anchor. How old is it?

My great uncle was born in 1919. he was an army engineer since 1947. He got the job because he was on his way to prison, and he made a deal with a priest who got him the job. He worked on a dredge and i know that he dredged the Deleware river and C&D canal. i visited him not too long ago and he had these two items along with a huge anchor that made its way to his truck then his lawn where it sits today. he gave me the small anchor and shovel. we also took a trip to some spots that were fenced off and he was ready to hop the fence to find some bottles.

100_1267.jpg

100_1276.jpg

100_1273.jpg

100_1271.jpg

100_1260.jpg

100_1265.jpg

100_1266.jpg

any info would be great! thanks, matt.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
not sure. i belive he was all over the world even overseas to saudi arabi. he would be gone for weeks, and home for weeks. i really wanted to find some info on these pieces so can tell him. Matt

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Matt, The shovel like thing you have is a furrowing hoe. It was used to make watering furrows between rows in a garden. Cant say how old it is but it looks black smith made around the handle shaft.

The anchor looks typical up to about 1930.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
thanks Warren! How on earth did you know that?

Hey Wayne, maybe he digs dem kinda hoes.

ladiesman.jpg

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Matt, I was brought up around a bunch of really old timers, mostly gone now, and they used alot of the stuff people dig up and my grand dad had one of thoes hoes that he used untill he was in his 90s and that was back in the 1980.

A buddy had a 1930s yacht owned by Prince Reinier III and Princess Grace of Monaco. The dip wad threw the anchor out with a 6ft rope and lost it in 30ft of water with a muck bottom. What a dope. The anchor looked just like yours.

My brother had a few of them too.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
ya said he had owned it? or still has it?

every time i go to my auction, i always get to talk to old timers telling me this and that. when i go see my great uncle, hell probably say "oh yea". Thanks, Matt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday