sifting dirt

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nitedigger

Reaction score
How many of you diggers sift your dirt when digging or refilling your hole?Do you think it would be worth my effort to start doing this?If some of you have sifters, I would like to hear all of the tips and tricks of building and using one.I'm thinking of using one on some of my future digs, but wanted some opinions on the idea.
Thanks,
nitedigger

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey nitedigger, it is absolutely worth it if you have the time and energy. My diggin buddie and I have done it a few times but not nearly as often as we should have. We have often wondered what small historical items we have tossed back into the hole simply because we ran out of time or gumption! A simple way to sift is to build a 2x4 frame..... say 3ft by 5ft, cut and screw some strong wire mesh to it and set it up on some saw horses. (Make sure you use plenty of screws as that dirt gets heavy) Pick the size wire you want. It can't be too small or the dirt won't pass through it , but too big and you will still lose buttons, coins, and the like. Happy Diggin, Kelley

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Hey nitedigger,there is a sifter that I've used in Florida,down there its used for looking for sharks teeth or catching sand fleas.
Its a heavy wire mesh on a long handle and it works really well for sifting,if you know anyone down that way could send you one.
I got mine in a Walmart,they may be able to order you one,mine cost about $15.00.
Anyway good luck with the digging.DJ.

IRISH

Reaction score
It is very much worth it if you have the time and collect all the little bit's and pieces.
I like all the little things but I'm almost always in a hurry when I'm digging so I shovel the dirt out in a way that I can see most of the stuff in it, you will get it all if you seive it though.

Mainepontil

Reaction score
I always sift when digging a privy, usually sift a cellar hole, and rarely sift a dump. Coins and marbles are the items you'll get. I built my own, cheap and easy.

100_1025.jpg

nitedigger

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, everybody. I decided to build a sifting box and take it to one of my favorite bottle holes. I found two buffalo nickels, a 1920 wheat penny, a 1904 indian penny,and a 1942 jefferson nickel.Now the only thing I'm wondering about is how many things I've missed over the years by not sifting my dirt.[:(] I'll sure do it from now on!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea. I'm going to go back to some "dug out" sites and sift this year.

kastoo

Reaction score
It can be easier that than that and cheaper...get one of those throw away plastic bread crates at a store...you know the big plastic flat ones with the diamond shaped holes...then find chicken wire and lay it in there and voila!

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
I use a sifter aswell on occasions,a large one!....
I took 2X4's and small guage chicken wire so 3 cent silvers or small coins/objects dont go through,,,,,,,
Thhis pic is of a old copper button from a site that was on a 1866 beers map,but me and a few others are unsure the ecact date or even what this place was.......I was told that this is a very old "tie tac" button from 1820's/30's......also a magnet will do wonders if theres lots of rusty crap around..........

My detecting friend who shows me the ropes says old buttons and that sort of things are really good keepers aswell as early craftsmanship...........
so YES MAKE A SIFTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have one just like "mainediggers" 10 min job to make....

Ca81096.jpg

Attachments

• Ca81096.jpg
    Ca81096.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 76

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter