sjs for the blood

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rexmiller

Reaction score
does anyone know anything about this bottle it says on one side L. Gerstle & C0 and the other side it says Chattanooca Tenn on the front it says SJS for the Blood its about 10 in high and brown
Thanks
Rex

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I don't know anything about this bottle, either. I found this example on the bank of the Suwannee River years ago, and have never seen another.

My bottle is in rough shape, so I never did put it on my shelf. But, I couldn't bring myself to through it away.

The bottle is 8.8" tall. It has four indented panels, tooled lip, smooth base. 1880s-90s, I'd say.

--------Harry Pristis

Db83681.jpg

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Rex does your bottle look like Harry's bottle ?
I was wondering if yours was a size variant of that mold or a different mold all together.....Because yours seems to be taller than the one Harry has ?
I know this Tenn. Company...... I'm not familiar with your bottle though....I have seen them before but I have no info on it . This Chattanooga Co. also made GFP for Women
Gerstle Medicine Company Chattanooga , Tenn . in Amber .

rexmiller

Reaction score
it's the same bottle i was guesting on size you know how us men are we all lie about sizes the bottle i have is in good shape.
thanks
rex

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
When I first looked at this on Rex's CD that he mailed to me (great idea by the way Rex), I thought that it may be a bitters. "For the blood" was what sparked this idea. I looked through several books and also came up empty. Could it be a lost example of a bitters? Or is it just a local medicine? Who knows.

I know some Tenn. collectors who may know and will drop them a line in the near future.
Until then Rex, good luck.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
It is not a bitters.......It is most likely a Med !
It is not listed as a label only Bitters in Ring & Ham's.
If it was a label only Bitters ..... Then NO examples have been found with a label stating so. Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Rex and Harry ..... Your bottle was a Sarsaparilla !

An amber, rectangular bottle, 8 1/4 inches tall, embossed G.F.P. / For / Women // Gerstle Medicine Co. // Chattanooga, Tenn. G.F.P. stands for Gerstle's Female Panacea. Leopold Gerstle started small in Union Tenn., in 1871. By 1889 the town was called Bluff City when Gerstle and the town council had a “falling out†over increases in tax and water rates, and Gerstle moved his growing business to Chattanooga. An 1895 ad lists L. Gerstle & Co., Manufacturing Druggists, Office and Laboratory on Electric Street Halloway, Highland Park. St. Joseph's Sarsaparilla and St. Joseph's Liver Regulator were advertised as well as G.E.P.The Sarsaparilla came in an 8 3/4 inch tall amber rectangular bottle embossed S.J.S. / For The / Blood // Gerstle Medicine Co. // Chattanooga, Tenn. St. Joseph's Family Medicines, L. Gerstle & Co. Continued to be listed in the Chattanooga City Directories through 1920, and the company continues to the present as the St. Joseph's Medicine Co.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Cool! What's the source of your info, Brian S?

This is a good size and shape for a sarsaparilla, though it is not listed in John DeGrafft's 1980 book, AMERICAN SARSAPARILLA BOTTLES.

Thanks for the research!

------------Harry Pristis

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Dr. Richard Cannon is the source !
Here's a link to the page on the Glass Works website. http://glswrk-auction.com/mc15.htm
Hope this helps Harry ! Brian

rexmiller

Reaction score
Thanks for the help does any have a ideal the value
Thanks
Rex

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member