small brown ink bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wfocatman

Reaction score
hoping to get some info on what this is, and the value.. has not been cleaned yet, and has some rust on it, mainly the bottom. also what feels to be a very tiny chip in the top that i can just catch with a finger nail. has no writing, just 2 small bumps on the bottom aprx.3 1/16 wide... measures 2 5/8 H and 2 3/8 at the base.. thanks for your help

Vt58324.jpg

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Mike, What they are worth depends on alot of things. Check out this link and it will probably help.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_38418/mpage_1/key_inks/tm.htm

wfocatman

Reaction score
wow.. those were some outstanding bottles...taz's collection was really impressive.. going to head to the library today and hopefully find some books... i have a few other inks also.. like i said before, i'm not really a collector, just happend upon a lot of bottles one time.. but seeing taz's display really got me thinking

falconer

Reaction score
Hi Mike

Cones of this type come in a variety of colors. Amber is pretty common. Carter's made a lot of them, many have no marks, like yours. If it was cobalt, turquoise, citron or other rarer color then you have something maybe worth $50.00 or more. Don't know if this helps any? I love inks and have a pretty good selection in my collection. But beware, the bottle collecting fever starts like in the direction your going. Good luck!

falconer

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I told you Mike..lol...this is how bottle fever strikes...you find a few...you see another diggers huge beautiful collection...and then....you won't part with even the broken shards you find!

OT.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Mike thanks for making my head swell! haha Most of the amber cones I have seen here in maine have been going for $10-$15. Usually the higher amount will go for a embossed bottle or a unusual color variant. Most of my carter cones I bought off eBay or fellow diggers, I dont think I paid more then $25, the price now on fleabay is 3 to 4 times that! Seems like more collectors equals less inks and higher prices, good bottles are a good investment![;)] If you need help to ID your inks post away! Glad to share my display! Taz

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Taz, check out the flared disc mouth ink here...it's WFO's....
And whats that dark small one on the far left? sheared and infolded lip? Snuff?

Hf98584.jpg

Attachments

• Hf98584.jpg
    Hf98584.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 64

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Ot I can't see enough detail to say for sure great color on the far left one though! Any embossing on either? Tell WFO I have a tumbler that would bring them all back to life[;)] Are either of you planning to go to the show next week end? If so I could take a look at them there... Whats in the back row? Hossie's??? and if so whats on the base. Taz

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Any ideas on the big disc inky? I like that..

I couldn't say on the back row, I had to crop his pic down to get it to load...And it don't show the detail like you said..I thought it might be an old father johns..
WFO will be back here and tell us soon, I have no doubt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski