Small green bottle with metal casing

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
That's refreshing... An antique dealer that's actually honest about their merchandise! Some antique shop owner sold an ABM Vaseline jar for $30 to my grandpa, and claimed it was pre 1900!

The guy was pretty much spot on, I think. That metal stuff was probably added on later. Smelling/bath salts bottle, and a cool looking one at that.

polar-bear-cub-chill-out-i-got-this.png

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Smelling salts...

SmellingSalts.gif
I keep seeing Lavender Salts but I don't see a label in good enough condition to read if they were for bath or reviving women with "The Vapors".....LOL[8D]

epackage

Reaction score
SURFY is right, here is the scoop....Seems they were also the reason the smelling salts were needed...[8D]

The Crown Perfumery was launched in 1872 in London by William S. (Sparks) Thompson, an American industrialist from Connecticut.

Starting in life as a dry goods clerk, Thnompson went on to found at least half a dozen successful enterprises. He was the first to manufacture crinolines in the United States and the first to manufacture corsets by machine. "Thompson's Glove-Fitting Corset" was a huge success on both sides of the Atlantic. Queen Victoria of England was a customer.

Two versions of the founding of the Crown Perfumery have been given. In the first (see "Doctor Basenotes") women were fainting from exertions involved in corset fitting and William Thompson Jr., a chemist, developed a lavender based smelling salt to provide for their revival. The smelling salt developed into the Crown Perfumery.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Is Rabbit season over? [8D] I was just gonna say that the lavender was part of an old recipe to counteract the sharp effects of the ammonia fumes. See Here.

WideAwakes.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello, Regarding metal covered bottles. I have a three sided decanter with a pewter metal covering covering the neck below the finish and down to the center of the body of the bottle. I also have a quart beverage bottle with a metal body covering that had holes in it so the glass protrudes larger in a domed diameter form. I have found no information on the second one. RED Matthews

surfaceone

Reaction score
I keep seeing Lavender Salts but I don't see a label in good enough condition to read if they were for bath or reviving women with "The Vapors".....LOL[8D]

Hey Jim,

We shoulda looked to Mark CazDigger:

CIMG2473.jpg
From.

4037907_f260.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member