snuff jar. old or repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I would think its maybe 1860s, maybe early 1870s. Its pretty early.
I wouldn't call that a pontil mark. Many of these early snuffs had odd base markings.
There are a number of explanations. I think the jury is still out on the purpose.
I'm sure a snuff collector would find that one interesting.

ellisnowens

Reaction score
Snuff jar

F298837A892C43ABAD005487989EF9F9.jpg

Attachments

• F298837A892C43ABAD005487989EF9F9.jpg
    F298837A892C43ABAD005487989EF9F9.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 56

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Looking again at your base photo I may have been wrong in my first comment.
I was assuming people were calling that long depression a pontil mark, which it isn't.
But looking more closely it appears there may be a glass chip/sand pontil there.
Hard to see it well from that angle. This would date it earlier, maybe 1850s.
The long tool mark cuts through the pontil scar ... if that's what i'm seeing.
A closer photo of the base at an angle might help.

I should have read Jim's comment :)

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
One theory would be that this is a makers mark where competing glass blowers using the same mold who worked in different time shifts in a glass factory,would base mark the bottle for accounting purposes.The mark does seem centered on the base making it seem purposely placed there. The other possibility's may be that it was a total accident in the annealing oven or was it purposely placed there as a bottle stabilizer/holder where a thin slot of wood protruding from a shelf would rest inside the slot preventing it from tipping over say during a ship voyage.

I am leaning towards it being a total accident in the annealing oven although the neatness of the mark makes it look quite intentional. I would place the date of manufacture between 1800 and 1830. I also believe it is more then likely a product of Coventry or the Pitkin Glass Works in Connecticut as it is quite similar to bottles of the same sort in color and make up produced there. Great looking bottle let us know when and where you are going to list it.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I doubt these snuff marks are accidental since they are found in various forms and seem quite intentional ... two holes, two lines, one line, letters, etc. They typically appear to be done with solid metal rods. It may never be resolved.

NHkeith

Reaction score
It looks old to me. I don't think i have seen a repo of one those YET. But I have only been collecting for a few years.

I have two snuffs posted on this forum. both have different base marks. Seems to much more common in snuff bottles, then other types of old bottles.

RED has an article on his personal website about snuff bottles and marks on them. it was an interesting read. check it out!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau