So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
It was some copper that I forgot I had lying around the house in a sandwich baggy.

It's not that I have motivation, it's that I want to get it done before the snow flies, because up here you never know when it's coming. last week was cool and windy and all this week it's going to be 72-77...go figure.

I spent about 3hrs on that long carpet pull last night...sewing with a curved upholstery needle sucks. it just digs into your fingers when you're trying to go through that carpet with the loops/mesh layer/backing...so ran two courses of stitches into that and then made sure it was all pulled tightly and slapped some glue where it was needed and then put some books on it to help it dry....woke up today and there were only a cpl spots that were semi-bare...so I had to steal a few strands from the closet carpeting and fit those in...

We usually do the whole donate/toss thing in the spring and then again in the fall..kids grow way too fast... this past spring my daughter, who's 10, donated 70 shirts...wtf needs 70+ shirts! We went through toys and all that and I sold a bunch on ebay and made a couple hundred for the kids. I too won't throw anything out until it's totally useless...I have sweatshirts from college and that was in the early 90's.

Was going to go MD today. Swap the 10" coil for the 8" coil so I'm not getting so many mixed targets at one time. The f2 is fast at picking up targets and if two huge hunks of trash are next to each other, it chatters like crazy. Although, if you have a hunk of trash and a coin near each other, it will discrim between the two and you will get 2 diff id's....

probably won't be able to make it out today. Daughter has her Martial Arts class tonight at 6 and after that it's dark...since all my work is done, looks like "hopefully" tommorow will be it....

MIdigger

Reaction score
Funny about the daughter mine was the same way. Her mother bought her stuff like mad. I just gave my daughter money and told her to get what she wants as long as I would let her wear it. She didnt lack for much of anything.

Did the martial arts with her too. Except "Dad" was always the old guy in the class, and boy did they love to watch the "old" guy screw up or fall. Those that cant handle humiliation need not apply.

I know what you mean about those coils, I want to get a 10" for the BH505/BH-QD-2 because they will interchange. Thought that may help me sweep those parking lots faster. However, as you said winters coming and we will have to wait until next year. Hopefully find a bit more silver before the snow flies.

ironmountain

Reaction score
luckily we can detect until late november here..then the ground freezes...last year I was detecting during deer season. Tomorrow I'm going all day though....8" coil, just going to start at one side and work as much as I can slowly, digging everything that gives a solid repeatable signal.

I haven't gotten your PM yet with your address...

MIdigger

Reaction score
Did the address go to your email? I thought thats where it went.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Got it now. Sent you one back.

Ok..time to change from 10" to 8" coil and go hit the park all day....

I may be getting a new detector soon...not sure even if i sell my f2 I could afford an f75 , even used..let alone a Minelab Explorer or Etrac...

so either going with an f70 or a Tesoro...I like Tesoro...they look like they're from the 1960's but they are solid, perform well and have a lifetime warranty and are made in the US. I like the Fishers only because I have one and won't have to learn what it's telling me, just have to learn how to setup the ground balancing and all that fun stuff....

I hear that Fishers are good in mineralized ground, which I have up here (iron mines=a ton of iron in the ground). But they get chattery with EMI. So with the higher end ones like the 70/75, you have to turn your cell off if it's anywhere near you, otherwise you're setting it on low sens and digging shallow. The f70 and the 75 are both very deep...Been doing some research and reading and some people are pulling coins at 10-12".

People with Tesoro Tejons are doing the same too...and the tejon is like, 600 new...70 is 800ish and the 75 is 1k...Nice thing about Tesoro, the lifetime warranty transfers. need to do some more research and then going to make a choice, sell my f2 and pickup a new one...

will have to see what the wife says...she snagged a sizeable loan from the bank...they gave it to us unsecured and very very low % interest...I was like, honey...i need to get the google nexus prime phone when it comes out in a cpl weeks...and a new detector...she just rolled her eyes at me and asked how much it would cost....I said, the phone? couple hundred but I'd have it for 2years. So it's worth it...and the new detector, I'd sell my current one to upgrade so I won't feel the need to upgrade for a couple years...She changed from rolled eyes, to "we'll see"....

Need to find a gold ring or super heavy gold chain so I can say, look..I'd have found this earlier if I had a better detector. then tell her that ARA would give me 95% melt for it.....she'd relent..

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, go with what you can afford. I like the lifetime warranty. Thats always a plus. Remember the bogo sale too, if you go with Kelly Co. That BH-505 I have to say is a pretty good backup machine for general purpose. Besides its found plenty of clads, 2 silver mercuries and that 14KT ring. Its about 149 with the 1/2 off and maybe less if you go with the $1000 detector. My MXT-P was in the 720-740.. range I think. Just something to think about.

Thats what I used at the playscape/park (BH-505) on the way back from church. (1-qtr,2-dimes,1-nickel,8-pennies). Stopped back for some grub and heading back out to see what I can find.

riverdiver

Reaction score
I got out monday and today and did some cellar holes in my area, these represent the highlights so far. Both knives are sterling silver as is the spoon, the watch case has the British lion passant sterling mark and the top knife has an engraved date of 1926. The item in the bottom left is near and dear to me as I too am a fireman, I think it was a buckle at some point or a hat badge as it is very thin.

A7D3EB4CC36E49FD81009AA01EC9F263.jpg

Attachments

• A7D3EB4CC36E49FD81009AA01EC9F263.jpg
    A7D3EB4CC36E49FD81009AA01EC9F263.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 80

Plumbata

Reaction score
I've been using an ole White's Silver Eagle detector lately; trying to get back into the "swing" of things but my luck hasn't been as good as it was a decade ago. Bottle digging is great but after seeing the finds on Treasurenet my appetite for coinage has been reawakened.

Over the course of 10 hours in various areas I've dug 7 wheatie all 30s or later (2 were visible on the surface), no silver, plenty of brown clad and copper pennies (I like those, far better than the ate-up worthless zinc ones). 2 interesting finds were brass marijuana hitter pipes. Both found near old schools. lol. I've been doing some research, looking at my rare old maps and whatnot, and hope that it pays off

Also found an interesting brass Philgas padlock, but it is silver than I want! I was spoiled as a kid in Maryland, with a 1799 slave mansion right across the street. Got great stuff outta there.

Good luck people, find me some seateds!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Nice finds RD. That firemans pc is interesting. Any idea how old it may be? Have to say Ive only recovered knives while bottle digging.

Plumb- I love bottle digging too, but my first love is coinage. Got a few oldies 1797 Austrian Kreutzer, 1798 Cartwheel, 1550 Scicilian silver coin. Of course I didnt dig those but got them from some rummage/estate sales. Cheap of course.

Ended the day with a combined tally (with this am`s included) of 7-qtrs, 9-dimes,1 nickle, 35 pennies. I did get one wheat at about 8 inches down in the county park. Just a common 1946-d. Nice day out to detect.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Nice finds RD...I've only found one knife and it was a boy scout knife from way back..corroded way too badly to do anything with it..your's are in great condition!!! Nice haul you have there. Really like that spoon and the watch back.

Nice find on the padlock Plumb..Still haven't found one of those yet either.. There were some very interesting ones back in the day.

I loves me some bottle digging. Never really cared about it or thought about it until I was at the family farm that dates back to the mid-late 1800's....quite a few dumps. ranging from when the house was built all the way to the 70's or so. have found quite a few nice bottles, some milks...nothing old yet...sodas are all roughly 40's. Eventually I'll just pick one place to dig and dig it 'til it's empty...(there are a few that are small but deep and one that's 300yds long by 12yds wide or so).

The only reason I want to snag a new one is that I've pretty much mastered the F2 and I'm now wanting to hit deeper silver etc...the tejon and the fisher f70/75 will all hit very deep..and supposedly are decent on mineralization...Cant afford a good Minelab, but you have to swing so slowly with those and their heavy that i'd probably not want to spend 1k on the explorer or etrac...

I got lucky in neighbor's yard. The house has never had any remodeling done to it so their yard is very clean. In my yard, it's like a hardware store in the ground.found some nice Barber dimes. found one less than an inch down against their fence..that was crazy..found a few more near an old tree and a ton of wheats.

Plumb, here's a seatedfor you. My seated 1877 Carson City dime...in phenomenal shape.

Oh...MI...I was talking to one of the mom's at Tae Kwan Do tonight and she said that the park was a dump for a few years....No wonder why I haven't snagged any coins other than the 1911 quarter....I did pull another bullet today...very very small..and white...2 ringer...looks like a .22 smushed, except it's quite heavy for a .22...

72D3C790EC6A4991BCC023737F33BA1F.jpg

Attachments

• 72D3C790EC6A4991BCC023737F33BA1F.jpg
    72D3C790EC6A4991BCC023737F33BA1F.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 82

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member