Soda N Milk jackpot

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JGUIS

Reaction score
I did pretty good the last 2 days in 2 different dumps. The old city dump, which is about 15-20 acres, yielded some new sodas for me. 3 Whistle SS from Zanesville, 1 clear, one with a slight green tint, one with a slight blue tint(blue has chip and crack). Edwards Sodas Newark, OH(never heard of). One that just says soda on both sides, Zanesville OH also says Bottle Pat. Nov. 8, 1925(has crack). Athens Bottling Works, Athens, OH. Yet another 1915 Coke(this dump is full of them, but most are damaged, or just broke) At an old military academy dump I found 12 local half pint milks(embossed, but only on the bottom) Clouse & Snider Dairy, and one matching full pint. A Masons Old Fashoned Root Beer painted label(unfortunately most of the paint is but a haze), and a Kigers stock farm dairy 1/2 pint full embossed from Lancaster Ohio. I will get some pics up tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone has any dates on the Whistle, and any info on the others.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Here's the sodas

Vt56073.jpg

Attachments

• Vt56073.jpg
    Vt56073.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 69

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Good finds ! I believe the Whistle sodas date from the late Teens into the early 20's...found quite a few with Property of CC Bottling Works sodas, and Chero- Colas a few years ago...all in the same huge pile. Two dump truck loads were found under the floor slab of an old garage building. Some were embedded in the slab and some were inserted in the walls between the blocks like "glass rebar." LOL.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Josh, Great finds. Love the sodas.

Embossing on the bottom only was common for the military too from just before WW1 to about 1950. They frowned on the advertisments and still do on alot of things but they are not as tight about it as they used to be.

JGUIS

Reaction score
So do you think they were done seperate for the military academy, or were they used for schools too? I've seen other Clouse-Snider 1/2 pints that were full embossed. Just wondering if I could advertise as such since so many people went to this academy. It was called St. Aloyisius Military Academy, or St. Ama as they called it.

capsoda

Reaction score
Mostly just for the military. The government used to fund military academys so they would have access to trained officer material. The funding went the way of the beurocrats and most of the small academys failed.

The government provided them with money for uniforms, books and food along with access to venders at government rates.

Many even used dinner ware, beds, blankets and linnen marked with the branch of service that the academy trained for.

JGUIS

Reaction score
I also found an expended blank, looks like maybe 30cal? It's too big to be a 223, but it has stuff all over it. I'll have to clean it off and check the end.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Found another SS Coke today from Newark, OH and an almost mint pint milk from Wiseman dairy in Crooksville,OH. I think it's worth some $. Pics soon.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229