Something's A Bit Amiss

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wolffbp

Reaction score
MINT-BLOWPIPE-PONTILED-DOIG-BROS-druggists-CHOLERA-MIXTURE-LOWVILLE-NEW-YORK

Pontiled puff with a later era label?

Read this:

Mr. Doig was born in Lowville in August 1852. He learned the drug business in his father's store and in 1874 he purchased the interest of F. P. Kirley in the firm of Kirley & Pelton, and has continue in the business since that time as a member of the firm of Doig & Pelton and later Doig Bros.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Brian,

Nice sleuthing, sir.

Mounties%20Yukon%201900.jpg

CazDigger

Reaction score
Hi Brian, I also saw that Lowville bottle and came to the same conclusion, that seller has sold some sketchie bottles before too.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Those are a tough call as to whether that label was put on in this century, or a hundred years ago. Pharmacies, particularly rural ones, reused bottles all the time back in the day. I watch for bottles with labels that I know are for sale by their own (there is a pharmacy in Fairlee VT where you can find whole sheets of the labels unused for example). That bottle could be sketchy or could be good...

My Mom has a pontiled Ingraham's Nervine from Vergennes VT with an Ingraham's label that is fairly obviously TOC. Both the bottle and the label are correct, but they are about 50 years apart. However, I haven't seen any of his labels loose, so I'm guessing it was a reuse.

Jim G

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4