Spot in the Woods

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jcrlanger

Reaction score
Went to WalMart this morning and bought a new digital camera. If I figure out how it works I will show you guys the stuff I've been finding from a wooded area with a bit of history. I have been mainly searching the surface and have raked a bit due to the leaves. So before I share any pictures, I'll first share the history and keep you in suspense.

The area where I'm at is a few miles from the area where Hernando de Soto explored North Carolina in 1539-1540 (not much of a chance of finding anything from that exploration though). Things in the immediate area started when two cotton mill owners started construction of a cotton mill on the river in 1848. Operations began in 1849 and soon a villiage of brick houses grew around the mill. In 1916 a hurricane wiped the area out with a flood. The mill and the villiage was destroyed. In 1920 a local power company decided to dam the river for hydroelectric power. The construction took place from 1920-1923 where another small villiage popped up to support the workers. Evidence of this villiage goes through the mid 1950's when all evidence of habition ceased (I have found bottles ranging from 1901-mid 1950's). Work debry from the 1960's-70's shows up near powerlines and service roads (found a coffee bottle and some sodas), but the only thing that is left from the villiages are artifacts, brick piles, and fallen walls.

Once again I am currently surface picking and raking. I do see a few areas where a privy or two could be. I'll let you know more what I've found and I'll be sharing pictures shortly.

John

diggermeister

Reaction score

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey John, I'm sorry but I think I got you canfused with another NC digger that was looking for people to dig with. I promise I was not trying to elbow my way into you dig. If you would like someone to share the hoby with plase let me know. Great luck with your hunting; I hope you hit it big time...

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey John, I'm sorry but I think I got you confused you with another NC digger who was looking for persons to dig with.
I promise I was not trying to elbow my way in to your dig! Though let me know if you ever do want someone with which to share the hoby.
Great luck in your hunting; I hope you hit it big time...

TreasurDiggrNY

Reaction score
Congrats on the new camera, can't wait to see the pics you take with it from the site.
Good Luck,
TDNY

jcrlanger

Reaction score
Here's an overview picture. I truely believe I have only scratched the surface on this one. I hope this gives you a feeling of what I'm into on this one.

l_b617392fd7b84ec9a42feb019634ec1b.jpg

Please forgive the mess in the kitchen [;)]

Also Gary, Huntersville is pretty close to Mount Holly so we could do some type of diggin.

John

jcrlanger

Reaction score
I believe this to be the oldest from the spots so far. Has a C over a B with little CO next to it. I believe it's the Chattanooga Bottling Comapny as Chattanooga TN is under it.

l_27f700268e6640f98f10b78c0b428651.jpg

jcrlanger

Reaction score
Sodas from right to left: NuGrape, Double Cola, Nehi, Coca-Cola, Tasty Cola, Coca-Cola, Chero-Cola, Pepsi Cole

l_c3aec56d4d344bb9aa5ca4ffc824c3a7.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski