Spring Privy Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

theroadwarrior10

Reaction score
I found a Privy just before Christmas. I only was able to dig about 3 feet down and pulled out a Scranton Milk bottle. The ground is frozen solid now here in Pennsylvania. It is killing me because I never dug a privy before and I am daydreaming about some of the things I might find. I am going to document it all and share it on here. Hopefully I get a few decent bottles.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
If the pit is already started go dig it! We have dug over a foot to get to privy's in the winter. After you get through the hard chit the fill is soft. I don't know where you are located but the winter here in Allentown has been pretty mild up until yesterday where the temps are in 20s and teens for a high. Bundle up chop through that frozen earth and dig it! If I had one set up I would be digging.Alas I have nothing going on this winter.

The ground is never frozen "solid" when it is over a privy.

theroadwarrior10

Reaction score
Well also I think it would be safer to let the leaves come in. People can see me from the road and I do not want snoopy people poking around.

theroadwarrior10

Reaction score
Here's the thing I do not have permission, it is an old rundown patch of woods. I am so afraid that If I do ask they will say "No, stay off my land". Then I been warned and risk getting into trouble. If I get caught or questioned usually all that can happened in an un-posted piece of land is that you part ways without incident. I will be sick to my stomach in wondering what is in the privy if I am told to hit the road. I think I am going to be as quiet and conservative as possible until I have to make a deal or ask. I am not looking to make money off of the privy, I just need to bring the history to light. Isn't why we do this in the first place? The thrill and wonder of the unknown is so powerful that it makes us dig in petrified human poop dirt.

rvcdigger

Reaction score
You take your time if you know nobody's gonna dig it. Whats the rush then? all in good fun. Good luck keep us posted.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal