Strange jar.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Macaco

Reaction score
Hello All, I dug this small jar last month. I can't figure out why it is designed the way it is. People have speculated that it was a serving jar for small fruit with a slot for toothpicks or an ink jar with a slot for the pen to go in to. Threaded top. It is heavy for its size. I'm guessing lead glass. Any ideas? Steve

2find4me

Reaction score
Neat Jar, your ideas seem like good guesses.Looks a little small for fruit, but I have no idea what it is for sure.

botlguy

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken it is a Glue / Mucilage jar, the larger portion is for the glue, the smaller section for the applicator / brush. We had a thread for a similar item sometime back.

botlguy

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken it is a Glue / Mucilage jar, the larger portion is for the glue, the smaller section for the applicator / brush. We had a thread for a similar item sometime back.

Macaco

Reaction score
botlguy said:
Thanks Jim,That makes sense. The applicator sponge would have gone in the holder. Steve

RED Matthews

Reaction score
It looks like it has a threaded top finish on it. If there are two vertical seams on that threaded area, then it is a bottle made on an Automatic Bottle Machine. It is unique though, and I would like to study it to see how they formed the triangular dip chamber in it. That was not an easy thing to do so - if you want to sell it to me, I am interested in knowing how it was made. RED Matthews

Macaco

Reaction score
RED Matthews said:
It looks like it has a threaded top finish on it. If there are two vertical seams on that threaded area, then it is a bottle made on an Automatic Bottle Machine. It is unique though, and I would like to study it to see how they formed the triangular dip chamber in it. That was not an easy thing to do so - if you want to sell it to me, I am interested in knowing how it was made. RED Matthews
Hi Red, I am curious about how the jar was made too. I sent you a PM. Steve

DeepDown

Reaction score
I just found couple of those this week. At a place that like a bottle dump (millions & millions of just glass bottles, jars , etc.... Not sure if brought them home yet. we been getting so many. we been making piles of the one we want and haven't grabbed all the piles yet. And I think I seen another similar to it, with the triangle slot. but smaller version and looks a bit different. But 2 just like the one in picture.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again, Still no luck - but the opinions are that the jar was machine made - and it was for a ladies cosmetic material. I am not done yet - and will keep checking. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Steve the consensus of opinion ids that the bottle is a machine made product. The cavity was made with a plunger that had two segments to create the main cavity and the small cavity forcing the glass to the wall in between them. The settling of the hotter glass in that wall thickness occurred after the plunger was pulled back down in the neck-ring. I would still like to find out what kind of metal they used for the components of the mold parts, because the glass separation seams are so neat and small. I haven't found a cosmetic shop that has the product to sell in it. That would help me find out which glass company made it. I will try at our nearby mall when I can get there. Let me know if you want me to send it back to you. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen