stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Andy Please tell us more about the syrup / concentrate used when you worked at the plant... 1. Was it in the form of a concentrate or syrup? 2. If a concentrate, who/what/where turned it into a syrup? 3. How was it contained, Barrels - Drums - Bottles - Other? 4. How was it put into the bottle filling machinery? 5. Was the syrup flow automatic or adjustable? Which raises another question I have been wondering about - why would any bottler, even in the 1940s-50s, have to worry about the amount of syrup going into each bottle? Its hard to believe the machinery wasn't sophisticated enough at that time to do a simple, automatic measuring of the syrup without having to fuss about it.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Well I am sad to say I did not win the 7up 'syrup test bottle'. I even went higher than I planned on with the urging of my girlfriend. I might have went for it if it didn't end at 1 a.m. here in Michigan. Too late for me to stay up. Here is the final listing if anyone is interesed in looking. It went for 56$ + 7.05$ shipping. I really wanted it. I collect 7up's and it would have been a great addition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221956073696?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2648

Thanx to SodapopBob and Andy and everyone else for all their input on this.

Another question. Why do you think Coca Cola would put their ACL logo on the sides of theirs if you need too see the lines and read the measuring? Just goodmans Kist has what appears to be ACL on his but on the bottom part. I love the 7up and now the Red Rock Bob pulled up because of the embossing on the bottom.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. I realize that different size bottles such as 6 oz., 10 oz., 12 oz., etc., required different amounts of syrup. But even with that said, I would think it would be a simple matter of turning a knob or pulling a lever to change the flow and that would be that.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy The guy who won it probably entered a $100+ max bid to assure he got it and unless someone got carried away there was probably little chance of winning it. If I had been bidding, my max would have been $50.00. I'm sorry you didn't win it, but, like they say, there are more fish in the sea and I will let you know if I ever come across another one. But next time, howz about we don't discuss it in a thread for the whole world to see. [:mad:]

iggyworf

Reaction score
"But next time, howz about we don't discuss it in a thread for the whole world to see"

Funny, I kinda thought the same thing early on. But that's the way it goes sometimes. It's all fun.

I actually outbid him at about 10 p.m. my time. Then went too bed not too much later. But he came back as well as a third person.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This example was described as being a Coca Cola (I'm wondering how they know that?) and is a later Owens-Illinois 3 (I) 65 for 1965. But can anyone explain to me why it has ... 6 1/2 OZ Returnable? Three lines? (The etched number appears to be 1.00 OZ) [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Te...tle Returnable.jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Te...able Base 1965.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And why does this (Made by Root Glass - which I posted earlier and dates no later than 1932) example have what appears to be ... 1. At least ten lines? 2. At least four sets of numbers? [attachment=Syrup Test Bottle .ot Glass Company.jpg]

iggyworf

Reaction score
Yeah i wondered how some of them are from coca cola when there were no distinguishing marks on them. Here is a link to one that is supposedly coca cola with a cap on it. but no pics of the cap. http://www.antiquesnaviga...-bottle-test-tube.html another one with cap(anyone can recap a bottle though)
231530684314.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy I'm beginning to think that some of these bottles, especially like the one shown here, are actually "fantasy" items. ~ * ~ If you go back and look at the examples that have etched numbers and lines on them, notice that the etching appears to have been done "after" the bottle was made as if someone at the plant or in a lab added that information. But why? [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Test Bottle.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For me it boils down to one of the following ... 1. The bottles were used for measuring the syrup 2. The bottles were used for testing the syrup 3. The bottles were used for both measuring and testing the syrup (But if for testing, what type of testing?)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH