stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The most often used term for these types of bottles seems to be ... [font="georgia,palatino"] Syrup Test Bottle[/font]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I think most of us will agree that these test bottles were intended to test the soft drink syrup in a bottling laboratory - but exactly what type of testing occurred after they reached the laboratory? ( Part Two ~ To Be Continued ) [font="courier new,courier"]1910[/font] [attachment=Syrup Hydrometer 1910.jpg]

iggyworf

Reaction score
Andy, thanx for filling in alot of answers for us on this bottle. I have learned a lot. I was hoping we would have somebody that worked at a bottling plant. Thanx also to Bob again.

So are we to assume that these 'syrup test bottles' are:
1. rare
2. hard to find
3. somewhat common
4. common

I love the 7up one because it is the only one it seems to have the product name embossed on it

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In this so called Part Two my primary focus will be in trying to determine if the syrup test bottles were specifically designed to accommodate a Hydrometer for determining the sugar content of the syrup. It seems to me that the design of the test bottles is more than coincidental in that they are shaped like a test tube. If a one ounce sample of syrup was put in a regular bottle the liquid level would not be high enough to float the Hydrometer, whereas in a test-tube-type bottle the liquid level would sufficient enough to easily float a Hydrometer. We already know that the Owens-Illinois Glass Company made Hydrometers as well as the test bottles, so what I'm hoping to find is a clear connection between the two. This Wikipedia link provides some general information about Hydrometers ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrometer The attachments illustrate a Hydrometer floating in a test tube - so all I need to do now is find a picture of one floating in a test bottle. Which sounds easy enough but I have a feeling it won't be! [attachment=Hydrometer Wikipedia.png] [attachment=Hydrometer.jpg] [attachment=Hydrometer Illustration.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For comparison with the test tubes ... [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Te...tle with marks.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy I noticed there are two bids on the 7up test bottle and just wanted to let you know it weren't me. I hope you get it! [:)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Close but no cigar! [8|] I've read up on how Hydrometers were used and realize now the sugar content reading would have to be seen through the glass container that the Hydrometer was placed in. If the syrup test bottles in question were intended to be used with a Hydrometer, this might explain why none of them are made of dark glass such as amber or dark green like that of a 7up bottle. In fact, one of the first things that struck me about the 7up test bottle was that it wasn't 7up green in color. The test tube shown here is the closest I have found that resembles the test bottles, and is the only one I have seen with a wide base. But its still not the same as the test bottles in question that have the crown closures. As to measuring and reading the sugar content, let's pretend the liquid in this example is soft drink syrup. The more sugar there is in the syrup the thicker the syrup is. Thus, the Hydrometer would sink deeper into thin syrup and float higher in thick syrup. In this particular case let's say the optimum amount of sugar is 30. Notice that the liquid level line in the test tube is at 35 on the Hydrometer. Because the optimum number is 30 and the reading is 35, this tells us the syrup is thin and lacking the optimum amount of sugar. Hence, sugar needs to be added to bring the Hydrometer reading to 30. And if you think this laymen explanation sounds complicated, you should see how its worded in scientific terms - mucho confusing! Anyhoo, the search continues. [attachment=Hydrometer Test Tube.png]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
iggyworf said:
Andy, thanx for filling in alot of answers for us on this bottle. I have learned a lot. I was hoping we would have somebody that worked at a bottling plant. Thanx also to Bob again.

So are we to assume that these 'syrup test bottles' are:
1. rare
2. hard to find
3. somewhat common
4. common

I love the 7up one because it is the only one it seems to have the product name embossed on it
Having never seen one in 50 years as a bottle collector and 3 years working in a bottling plant as a young man, I would say that they must be Rare, and Hard to find. There will be exceptions of course, but generally speaking I think Rare and hard to find

andy volkerts

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Andy: Thanks a million. We should have waited until you checked in. Very helpful and I can picture the entire process in my brain like a video. You even answered something I was wondering about as to why some bottlers didn't use a regular bottle for the samples instead of the slim test-tube-like bottles. I'm sure izzy/Rich will be impressed too when he checks in. All we need to do now is come up with an appropriate name for the test bottles that all collectors can easily relate to, such as ... Premix Syrup Sample Bottle for Laboratory Testing (But shortened and not so long) [;)] Thanks Bob, but you get the most credit for starting this thread, I had to sit back and really concentrate on that old POP line that I used to repair when it broke down, which was often I might add, as we were in a old plant built in the 30s. Congrats to you and Iggy for this education..........Andy &nbnbsp;

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I also don't know the first thing about what they did in the lab, or what they tested for, other than Syrup amount dispensed by the filler.. The only reason I know that is sometimes the filler would short the amount of syrup put into the soda bottles, and all hell to pay would break out!!!........Andy

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS