stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Which is the same as ... 1 ounce + 4 ounces = 5 ounces 1.25 ounces + 5.75 ounces = 7 ounces 1.50 ounces + 5.50 ounces = 7 ounces But no matter how you ratio it, it appears that about 1 1/2 ounces is probably the maximum amount of syrup that went into a 7 ounce bottle of Squirt.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Because the Squirt syrup bottle has the words "Throw" and "Graduate" on it I have little doubt it was intended to take a sample of syrup from the filling machine in a predetermined measured amount. But what I don't know is whether the measured amount of syrup was to check the accuracy of the throw filler or to take a sample for some type of laboratory test - or possibly both. The answer might be found by determining the amount of syrup it holds at the fill line. If the fill line is near three ounces, then my guess would be that it was not intended to check the accuracy of the throw filler because it seems apparent the maximum amount of syrup in a seven ounce bottle would be no more than about one-and-a-half ounces.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
We can add Nesbitt's to the list. There was very little information with either of these bottles and I was unable to enlarge the pictures. Both were described as being 1950s. The most interesting thing about them it that both bottles have the words "Throw Gauge" on them just below the Nesbitt's signature. The word "Gauge" is new to us but suggest something to do with measuring. [attachment=Nesbitt's Syrup Throw Gauge Bottle.jpg] [attachment=Nesbitt's Syrup Throw Bottle.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. If anyone has the ability to enlarge or in some manner determine everything that is written on the Nesbitt's bottle(s) it could prove to be a valuable clue.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I should have looked before I leaped - because I did some additional searching and came up with what you see here. I'm not sure of the date on the base (although I think the first number on the right is a 4) but I'd say this particular bottle was definitely intended to measure the amount of syrup that was dispensed (Thrown) from a bottle filling machine. [attachment=Nesbitt's Syrup Th...ottle Close Up.jpg] [attachment=Nesbitt's Syrup Th...ge Bottle Base.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. I forgot to mention that the Nesbitt's bottle sold for $35.00

iggyworf

Reaction score
Great work Bob! On the right side of the Owens Illinois mark, I t looks like a #0 to me with maybe a . for 1940? Maybe a #9 to the left? For Streator Illinois?

squirtbob

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
If I understand the term "Throw" correctly, it refers to the amount of syrup dispensed from a filling machine. Based on the marks on the other examples we've seen, it appears the line on the Squirt bottle is near three ounces. And if I'm not mistaken, the only size of bottle that Squirt was using in 1941 was seven ounces. I'm not certain how much syrup went into seven ounces of Squirt, but if the test bottle line is near three ounces, that seems like a lot of syrup to me. But to be fair and open minded, the term "Graduate" also relates to measuring, as in 'test cylinder graduate used for measuring a liquid.' Hey, squirtbob - howz about conducting a little experiment and see how much liquid the bottle holds when filled to the line. If you fill it to the line and then pour that amount into a measuring cup it should tell you how many ounces it is.
Bob, I heard from my friend who owns the Squirt throw and he said that it hold 2 ounces up to the line. The syrup bottle that you found on ebay would date from the 1960's and I'm quite certain there were formula changes by then.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
squirtbob Thanks for the info. There seems to be little doubt the example you shared was used for measuring the amount of syrup from a filling machine. The same can be said for the Nesbitt's example and others like it. However, I still believe that some of the long-neck bottles were used for some manner of testing. This newspaper clipping doesn't tell the whole story but it does give us a behind-the-scene glimpse of various test being conducted. The gauge on the bottle that the man is holding must be some type of carbonation pressure checker. The instrument floating in the tall vile is no doubt a hydrometer. I'm not sure what's sticking out of the regular bottle but I'm doubtful that its a straw and it also appears to be a hydrometer for taking a Brix test of the sugar content. From ... The Decatur Daily Review ~ Decatur, Illinois ~ January 20, 1954 [attachment=Coca Cola QC Syrup...954 (956x1100).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The carbonation tester and the close up of the gauge were both described as vintage 1950s. Compare them to the one pictured in the 1958 newspaper clipping ... [attachment=Coca Cola QC Syrup...954 (956x1100).jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Bottl..rbonation Gauge.jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Carbonation Gauge.jpg]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator