stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And they came in this kit provided to Coca Cola bottlers. Compare the tall test vile that's in the kit to the one pictured in the 1954 newspaper clipping. Also notice the two clips mounted to the inside of the lid. I can't say for certain but I suspect those clips originally held a hydrometer ... [attachment=Coca Cola QC Carbonation Kit 1950s.jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Carbo...s Instructions.jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Syrup...(956x1100) (3).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For Comparison ... 1. 1940s Coca Cola Laboratory 2. 1954 Coca Cola Bottling Plant [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Te...tory 1940s (2).jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Syrup...(956x1100) (2).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For Future Reference ... 1. 1931 - "Twenty-two scientific tests" 2. 1941 - "Many progressive tests" 3. 1958 - "Brix tests" [attachment=Coca Cola QC Testi...931 (1100x754).jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC The B...941 (998x1100).jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Syrup...(2) (1100x391).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy / Rich Yeppers - I saw that reference and dozens more just like it - but its all still rocket science to me! We know some of the bottles were intended for measuring the amount of syrup dispensed from the filling machines. But what about the taller examples that are not marked? The $64 question is ... Were the taller, unmarked bottles used in a similar fashion as the tall test vials? [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Test Bottle Tall.jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Syrup...(956x1100) (3).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I say ... [font="comic sans ms,sans-serif"] Yes, they were![/font]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
These looong links are to some looong accounts about soft drink bottling. For some reason they open to the middle pages, but just speed scroll to the top for where they begin. They pretty much cover everything you ever wanted to know about bottling from the olden days to the present ...
https://books.google.com/books?id=qQM8AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA350&lpg=PA350&dq=syrup+throw+gauge&source=bl&ots=S9DMhG3QbS&sig=a5qcIb-3VXgLqUEc2NiVAslr_fQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFmaGVgtPJAhXIXB4KHWhHAV4Q6AEIPjAF#v=onepage&q=coca%20cola&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=jE6Gu8kchh4C&pg=PA114&dq=syrup+throw+bottle&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8zNLdq9TJAhVJqoMKHQADBToQ6AEIMDAA#v=onepage&q=syrup%20throw%20bottle&f=false

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. The Contents pages near the top of the 1888 article is set up (highlighted in blue) so you can click on them and immediately go to that chapter.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S. And if you use the search box that has "GO" next to it and type in something like HYDROMETER it will pull up numerous options you can click on that will tell you all about them. Or use the GO box to search for anything specific.

squirtbob

Reaction score
squirtbob said:
SODAPOPBOB said:
If I understand the term "Throw" correctly, it refers to the amount of syrup dispensed from a filling machine. Based on the marks on the other examples we've seen, it appears the line on the Squirt bottle is near three ounces. And if I'm not mistaken, the only size of bottle that Squirt was using in 1941 was seven ounces. I'm not certain how much syrup went into seven ounces of Squirt, but if the test bottle line is near three ounces, that seems like a lot of syrup to me. But to be fair and open minded, the term "Graduate" also relates to measuring, as in 'test cylinder graduate used for measuring a liquid.' Hey, squirtbob - howz about conducting a little experiment and see how much liquid the bottle holds when filled to the line. If you fill it to the line and then pour that amount into a measuring cup it should tell you how many ounces it is.
Bob, I heard from my friend who owns the Squirt throw and he said that it hold 2 ounces up to the line. The syrup bottle that you found on ebay would date from the 1960's and I'm quite certain there were formula changes by then.
Interestingly, the squirt throw bottle that I posted is from 1941. I have a chart for "Formulas for the NEW Squirt Base" for 1942 and it states "the following facts and directions pertain to all formulas: Throw 1 1/2 ozs. to each 7 oz. bottle." Perhaps the formula was weakened by 1/2 oz.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator