Stumped

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
I picked up the Ceramic Pitcher at a local sale. The man who's stuff they were selling was a long time bottle collector. He died last year and they have had two auctions so far. I picked up this jewell for my opening bid. It has a mark debossed on the base that appears to be a "K/LH". It appears to be after 1891 so it should have a country of origin marked on it if it's foreign. It has an Olive Drab Glaze on the outside and is white on the inside. Any help would be appreciated.

6DAA735AA6FF4658BAAAB433ABC84A5C.jpg

Attachments

• 6DAA735AA6FF4658BAAAB433ABC84A5C.jpg
    6DAA735AA6FF4658BAAAB433ABC84A5C.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 86

TJSJHART

Reaction score
i was wonderin about that tab on top of the handle with the small hole,,it looks to small for a hangin loop ..? could it be for a pewter lid ?

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
I agree it looks like it should have had a top of some type but there appears to be no wear at all around the hole in the handle.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Zane,

Great sports pitcher! I think the Plus Fours help date it.

Don't know when they introduced the tenth pin.

"Dutch Colonists brought bowling to America in the 17th century. The game consisted of nine pins set in a triangle. It was regularly played in an area of New York City still known as "Bowling Green".

In 1841, Connecticut banned "bowling at the game of ninepins" because of widespread gambling. Other states followed suit. It is popularly believed that today's game of tenpins was devised to circumvent the laws against the game of ninepins. An outdoor game for most of its history, indoor bowling became popular in the mid-nineteenth century after the introduction of indoor lanes in New York in 1840." From bowling history.

I think that could be "big medicine" to the right bowler...

I was getting the feeling it might be a British Lawn Bowling scene, until you showed the reverse. Very nice piece. Thanks for showing it.

1674_cottons_gamester_early_outdoor_game_with_9_targets.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776