Suggestions on where to search???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

The Bottleman

Reaction score
I live in Greenfield, Tenn and I am needing suggestions for new places to search for old bottles. Noone probably even knows where that town is so I just need suggestions on what to look for like dumps or what. I am only 15 and have been collecting bottles by walking old creeks for a couple years so I would appreciate any helpful thoughts you have, Thanks.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello falcon,

Welcome to the Forum. You're on the right track in those creeks. Frequently folks would dump at the rear of properties along streams. I know, it sounds counterintuitive, but there ya go. If you find a concentration of glasss in an area, probe or scratch around for a dump.

You could also walk the railroad tracks. Check out the old depot area. Talk to old-timers in the area. Check out the library or historical society. Check out the old Mule Barns and all of "Soup Street."

MuleBarnSoupSt.jpg
From.

Find out where this place was:
greenfield_drugstore1919.jpg

Check all around the old hotel:
hotel.jpg
Do'ya have a probe? I'd be probin up a storm by the old parts of town.

Look for sites like this one. Good luck to you. Why don't you stick up some photos of yer finds to date. There's a few guys in yer age group that are active forum members.

516V2GHPMEL._SS500_.jpg

The Bottleman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and thanks for the invite.The places you have shown are in town and unfortunatly have been built on top of = Was that drug store picture something you have on hand or did you find it online?

The Bottleman

Reaction score
Also you said somethin about a probe, i have seen this word on several threads. Although i do know what a probe is in some instances, what is a probe in terms of searching for old bottles?

Oldtimer

Reaction score
For you, any 2-3 foot long 1/4" steel rod will do, just to search 8-10" under the leaves for the distinct sound of glass...you should practice by burying junk bottles and some rocks side by side to learn what the sound is.
Privy diggers have very specialized custom made probes up to 10 feet long...but that's in your future for now.

My tips:

Find the oldest houses there are, ask nicely if you might search, and then look anywhere there's a wet hole or embankment near them...I've found dumps directly behind a house, and then again the big grand places tended to haul the trash at least 1/4 mile off down wind..

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Falcon,,

I found all those pictures at "this one" place: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnweakle/greenfield.htm When my text turns blue, there's usually a link there.

If you wanna give yerself a crash course in digging & finding old stuff, read back in the portion of the forum. Digging & Finding, and the ever-popular, Unexpected Discoveries contain a wealth of information. Ask questions, show pictures, have BIG fun...

maria_550x402.jpg

The Bottleman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hey Falcon,,

I found all those pictures at "this one" place: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnweakle/greenfield.htm When my text turns blue, there's usually a link there.
Haha yes I know what a hyperlink is. that website has contributions from Joe Stout the only Greenfield historian that I am aware of. Maybe I should stop by his house and see if he has and suggestions on old houses or where old houses used to be. As for the information on the probe, Thank you that will be very helpful. Will I not break the glass when probing though?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Will I not break the glass when probing though?

Hey Falcon,

This is a possibility. Probing is an acquired skill that is kinda hard to describe. There is a certain "Tink" type sound that you can sometimes "hear" audibly, sometimes, and through the "feel" of your probe. Oldtimer gave you some good advise on how to practice. Somewhere in the back room of Digging & Finding, one of the members posted a picture of a "Rrobed through" bottle

If you are using a short rod of steel or a long screwdriver, listen and feel as you probe. You'll figure it out. Ask Joe Stout where the original town dump was.

1940_gort_The_evolution_of_movie_robots-s358x338-543-580.jpg

glass man

Reaction score
FOR THE BEST INFO. ON PROBING ,LOOKING WHERE TO DIG. THE MAN TO TALK TO IS ON THIS FORUM. HE GIVES GREAT INFO ON THESE THINGS,PLUS YOU GET TO SEE VEDIOS AND PICS,OF HIM DIGGING AND BOTTLES FOUND.COURSE MANY ON HERE HAVE GREAT KNOWLEDGE,BUT HIS WEBSITE IS THE BEST TO ME FOR THIS INFO.

THE MEMBER IS RICK WEINER,RICKJJ59W. A GREAT PERSON AND A GREAT FRIEND OF MINE! YOU CAN FIND HIS LINK BY GOING TO MEMBER LIST AT THE TOP ON THE FORUM AND TYPE IN RICKJJ59W.ON THE RIGHT OF HIS PROFILE YOU WILL SEE WWW.19THCENTURYBOTTLES.COM CLICK ON THIS AND THERE YOU ARE. I GUESS YOU CAN JUST PUT IN WHAT I WROT WWW.19TH.ETC AND WILL GET THERE.LIKE YOU NOT GOOD ON THIS POOTER THING!

I TRIED TO COPY AND PASTE IT HERE FOR YOU,BUT FAILED...LIKE I SAID NO GOOD ON THIS THING!

HEY GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND HOPE TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR BOTTLES IN THE FUTURE![&:] JAMIE

glass man

Reaction score
WELL LIKE I SAID NO GOOD ON THE POOTER.THE LINK ABOVE I GAVE WHEN CLICKED ON SAYS OOPS NOT HERE OR SOMETHING. ANYWAY JUST LIKE I SAID GO TO MEMBERS LIST AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM,CLICK IT PUT IN rickjj59w AND HIS PROFILE WILL POP UP AND ON THE RIGHT SIDE BOTTOM YOU WILL SEE THE WWW.19TH...THING CLICK ON IT,YOU WILL GET THERE! GEEZ! THE LINK IS www.19thcenturybottlediggers.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson