Sundays Digging.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Actually the vacant house the owner walked away from because he bought with no money down at the height of the market. Crackheads and vagrants had already broken into the place and were probably living in it at night.We cleaned up some trash in the yard and cut down the high weeds if anything we did a service to the bank that's now stuck with this property.

We have dug hundreds of vacant houses over the years without hardly a boo from anyone. We have had the police called on us countless times and most of the time they don't even run us they just tell us to make sure the hole is filled in when we are done.

We have had homeowners show up on us and workmen and more often then not it turns into real permission once we assure them that we will fill everything back in and return the property to its former condition.

A large city like Baltimore has thousands of absentee landlords that never visit their property's and its almost impossible to get current contact information for. We always try to find out who owns a property before we dig it. And honestly if its in foreclosure or bank owned we just dig because you can't get permission from banks.

The real key is to always fill your holes properly and make the place look better then when you arrived.

Privy digging in a major city is very different then digging dumps in wooded areas. It takes a lot of time spent talking to people and research to be able to dig every week.

Chris

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Our city is not "huge" but it is a fair size. There are a lot of absentee landlords and a lot of vacant buildings,but there is no way we could walk up and just dig the yard,even in the bad neighborhoods. There are to many eyes, and some of them will call the man in a heartbeat.

We have to get written "Indemification and hold harmless agreements" from the Redevelopment Authority for every house we do. Once we have that, we dont have to worry about anything. It's a hassle to go through all the motions but in the end we dig in peace. Except for the occasional gun shot lol.

By the way nice dig there Chris,I hope we hit one of those nice old one soon,but I am just happy to be able to dig at my age [:D]

Penn Digger

Reaction score
"We have had homeowners show up on us" is the type of situation I can't fathom. Sorry if we're not on the same page on this issue.

PD

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
As I have stated previously, if it's abandoned, bank owned, city owned, empty, full of crackheads, or otherwise blighted, then it's mine. I do not hesitate to dig any unoccupied house in this small city, especially if it is in an early neighborhood. Have I been caught doing this? You betcha, but no consequence has ever come of it. If some ogler calls the police that's no sweat either. They usually arrive, see what's happening and go on about their business. Bottle diggers are off the radar and they have much more to worry about than someone doing what we do. Owners sometimes show up, too., especially if a looky-loo dials them up. Occasionally they get a bit steamed, but it's cake to talk them down. After all, if they don't care enough to keep up their property, than why would a couple of bottle collectors be any bother? On a-hole went ballistic on us and started tossing probes and shovels in all directions, but when his head went through the fence he realized the folly of his ways and calmed down enough to be rational. Sometimes 'ya just gotta respond in the way they understand. One thing about bottle digging, there ain't too many dull moments in the city.[8D]

blade

Reaction score
Digger Don and I usually give the owners of abandoned or condemned properties one of two choices........THE LEFT HAND OR THE RIGHT HAND ! [;)]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
There's a REALLY promising abandoned house nearby, in Montclair. It's 1840's or earlier for certain, judging by the architecture and old maps of the town. It's sandwiched between two big newly constructed buildings. The problem is, it has a fence around it! The house is falling apart, and the plants are growing so high it looks like a jungle. The place has been abandoned for years. What do I do? Jump the fence? I have no idea who owns it, but there may be a way around if I'm lucky. I obviously need backup to dig it, but I have no idea where to start.

carobran

Reaction score
go there wearing a suit,tie and carrying a briefcase and pretend to be a (really young)bank agent[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

elmoleaf

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses and commentary regarding the permission question.
I think all of the breaking/entering that's going on around here in recent years (people looking for copper/scrap metal to strip & sell) makes neighbors very wary of any activity.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Sweet dig guys! Wish we could get into some older holes like that more often down around here.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

There's a REALLY promising abandoned house nearby, in Montclair. It's 1840's or earlier for certain, judging by the architecture and old maps of the town. It's sandwiched between two big newly constructed buildings. The problem is, it has a fence around it! The house is falling apart, and the plants are growing so high it looks like a jungle. The place has been abandoned for years. What do I do? Jump the fence? I have no idea who owns it, but there may be a way around if I'm lucky. I obviously need backup to dig it, but I have no idea where to start.
No, don't jump the fence, knock it down. Remove boards quietly and walk in like you own the place. Not a soul will know the difference.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers