Sundays Digging.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deldig

Reaction score
PD - Let it go. You are coming off "holier than thou". You've stated your opinion, now shut up. It doesn't affect you and you don't have to dig a non-permission if you don't want to. Spend your time on finding a good spot to dig bottles. Let others do their thing as they see fit. Have a happy day.[8|]

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Alan,

It's not about being holy, but more about being legal. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. Sorry if expressing my opinion bothers you, but I feel I am entitled to it as we all are even if you have to be rude about it. Digging on private property with out permission can and does give by the book diggers a bad rap. There's a great old dump near here that the owner won't let anybody dig because of non-permisson digger's decades ago. As I have said before, if those who don't get permission can get away with it, so be it. Have an exceptional day.

PD

baltbottles

Reaction score
Digging on private property with out permission can and does give by the book diggers a bad rap. There's a great old dump near here that the owner won't let anybody dig because of non-permisson digger's decades ago.

And I would bet that is because those diggers made a mess of the sight and left holes open and had no care for returning the property to its original condition. We fill our holes and within in a couple days you usually can't tell anyone has even dug at all. And even if those diggers years ago did fill their holes, You just have to realize that there are some people who just won't let you dig no matter what. Some people just hate the idea that you might get something of value for free off their property.

There are different types of people in this world, If I came home and found someone digging in my yard and they were finding interesting stuff I would let them dig just to see what they find. As long as they filled their hole in when they were finished and put the grass back. What harm does it do me? I say good for them if they found something I never knew was there and probably never would find myself.

Chris

deldig

Reaction score
PD _ I am all for people expressing their opinions, but I don't want to be preached to over and over again. As for being legal, if you dig on public lands without express permission from the municipality that manages that land, you are most likely taking a chance of being in the wrong. Try digging a Civil War site and explaining to the ranger that it's OK because it's public land. Also, I live next to a State Park. I can't collect a bottle off the surface. I can't keep an arrowhead if I find one. But, I can kill a deer if I have a permit, because hunters have have political clout. All I'm trying to say is, express your opinions freely and let others do as they may at their own risk.

sem_yeto

Reaction score
You guys who dont approve of digging vacant unkept bank homes or abandoned slum lord properties, are all entitled to your opinions. But you do a disservice to the forum to rag on guys who do clean work at dirty sites, like Chris who took the time to post pics and an interesting dig story. Do you think people will want to post their digs, when arm-chair quarterbacks who probably hardly ever dig, are going to crucify them for not obtaining permish from a bank? (which by the way is unobtainable).
Different situations call for different types of permissions or non-permissions. Every seasoned digger knows this. That's what separates the successfull diggers from the unsuccessful. Like Rick said, backyard digging in occupied homes is a different ballgame, and I'm sure Chris brings his A-game in for those types of digs as well. Bottom line: You have to be able to dig and adapt your gameplan to all situations, and on those non-permits at vacant unkept houses, if you leave it as well or better than you found it = no harm done. History saved, weeds cut, garbage tossed in hole. End of story.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
On a more possitive note. I like the plastic garbage can method of collecting the fill for much easier back fill. Even just putting it on tarps as we have done is still a major pain. We dug a simple 13-14 footer earlier this summer and it was a gruesome back fill job in the extreme heat reshoveling most of it. I know Sick Rick has used the plastic barrel system for many years. Would like to try it the next time we dig a deep one.

PD

lexdigger

Reaction score
The fact is that if you get caught digging on private property and you are prosecuted, you will get a trespassing charge and destruction of private property at the most. Get caught digging on public lands and watch what happens! You could be convicted with a prison sentence... not to mention your ENTIRE collection and all of your equipment confiscated. I would much rather take my chances asking a property owner to forgive me than to deal with forest services or park rangers. There is NO WAY I would hike around in the woods on public property looking for old bottles to dig... like some diggers HERE have posted in the past. Don't throw stones when you live in glass houses.

digger don

Reaction score
Nice dig Chris. We've done that many times. It's only a hole not like your robbing the place. I would be more worried about a guy that makes people chew on a gun than some one digging a hole. Keep posting most people look forward to seeing your posts . Blade , Stony and I have a dig coming this weekend . Blades bringing a camera so will post some pics.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
In reality, the chance of being prosecuted for digging in a non-permission back yard, whether it be bank owned or just abandoned, is somewhere between slim and none. Not to worry, buckeroos, hit it a soon as the opportunity arises. Let the feint of heart wander in circles gnashing their teeth over your transgressions. Many times it's those who are afraid to walk on private property who are willing to drop a dime on those who have no such fear. [8D]

sem_yeto

Reaction score
I agree with Lex. Stay out of the parks and public national state and federal lands. The Man will try to accuse you of all kinds of stuff for diggin a hole in those places, everything from destroying an archeological site to hurtin some Indians' feelins ! This will give the rea bad publicity, when Feds or State catch someone on their (yeah I know... it's not ours anymore. Thanks the Dems for that...).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator