Sunnyside Ginger Ale by the Narragansett Brewing Co.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I found this at the Keene, NH show last weekend. Usually label only bottles don't float my boat, but this one struck a chord. It's a prohibition bottle. Ken Previtali, the ginger ale collector who had a display at the National show was pretty impressed and said it is very rare. Any thoughts?

10318178343_dc1c0b8908_z.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Might not be a Prohibition era bottle. Possibly after prohibition. LEON.

epackage

Reaction score
As a fellow locals collector I love these labeled bottles T, they don't always get the love they deserve IMHO, but unlike embossing labels don't always last...

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
I like that it's from the Narragansett Brewing Co. I didn't know they made soda, if it is a prohibition bottle it would make sense then. I have a 'gansett memorabilia collection, not so much bottles but beer trays and openers. That's a nice label, hopefully you can find some more info about it.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
They were still listed under the same name in 1925 so it could be. They may also have had sodas as a sideline, that I don't know.
I can't remember seeing a Gansett malt extract like Pabst and some others made either.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Re: RE: Sunnyside Ginger Ale by the Narragansett Brewing Co.

My Info sez Narragansett closed up shop starting in 1920, Was closed all threw Prohibition & did not reopen until repeal of prohibition which was 1933. LEON.

M.C.Glass

Reaction score

Also, 12oz bottles for soda were not the norm in the Prohibition era.What markings are on the bottom of the bottle?

hemihampton

Reaction score

Not sure what year Rhode Island went into Prohibition (different states vary) but Since Narragansett moved to Cranston in 1933 upon reopening after repeal I'm going to guess bottle is from 1919 or before. Starting when that state went into prohibition whatever year that was? If it's for sale I might know somebody Interested in it? THANKS, LEON.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score

Ok, I forgot about this post, but it is time to dust it off. After reading a detailed history of the Narragansett Brewing Co., I am 100% certain they never closed during the prohibition. Ice was one of their biggest products next to beer, so it was probably their #1 product during the prohibition. They are also listed in a number of RI directories from the 1920s. Finally, here is a full picture and shot of the base with a 1920 date code. There are other known examples of labeled ginger ale bottles, but the labels are different.
12077908526_5c4f5b935f_z.jpg
12077907836_ce8c97abdb.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis