Super Crude, bubbly Case gin

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixel

Reaction score
I picked this case gin up the other night, simply for the reason it is the crudest, most bubbly one I have ever seen. FILLed with small bubbles, and also some pieces of pot stone, it is one cool bottle. Has a super crude top, and an odd base. Base simply has a dimple in the bottom, and the base is uneven. Any info as far as age, rarety, value, etc is appreciated!

1FD3C2A634224F2E9C9A8F64D52A16F9.jpg

Attachments

• 1FD3C2A634224F2E9C9A8F64D52A16F9.jpg
    1FD3C2A634224F2E9C9A8F64D52A16F9.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 54

TJSJHART

Reaction score
i don't know squat about that kind of bottle , but as crude as it is you might think they wouldn't even use a bottle that came out in this condition...nice find.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Nice bottle. Super common shape, but not commonly that crude. It reminds me of Eastern American glass. The finish is odd too. I know Red Mathews has a large collection of gins and may be able to offer you some more specific info on that particular bottle. Very nice find.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi and thanks CanYaDigIt and Insulators Rule! That is a unique Case Gin. It is hard to date such a bottle because the Case Gins had been made and shipped all over the world for no doubt a hundred years before they started making them in America. I am sure it is an early production effort in America or Canada. The glass doesn't even match the glass European characteristics; it is more like a Keene NH glass.

I could detect no mold marks so it was obviously blown and marver plate and paddle formed to the straight panel sides. The finish doesn't even match any that I have. It is an applied ring for cork pressure safety. The bottom was obviously flattened and placed on a plain or a hot glass coated iron punty.

It is well worth some close study, and it would fit well in my collection. I have been studying them for a good 16 + years and even wrote a review that got published in the Netherlands "DE OUDE FLESCH CLUBBLAD" in June of 1979. I would like to get my hands on, it for some study. I see that you are located in Ontario Canada. I go to the upstate finger lakes area in New York during the summer months. It might even be worth a trip up to your area to see it.

Many thanks for posting it. I would like to see a few more pictures. Like an angular shot of the shoulders and the finish, a straight on shot of the bottom, and maybe a sequential shot of all four side panels - in sequence. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again. I looked at the pictures again just now and estimate the bottle to be about 9-1.2" tall, The base about 2-3/4" square. Shoulder square size ? maybe 3-1/2". The neck and finish height. ?
RED Matthews

Bixel

Reaction score
Bottle is about 8 3/4" tall, and base is 2" square. Shoulder width is 2 7/8".

What exactly is meant by neck and finish height. The height from the shoulders to the top of the bottle?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It was probably designed for use on board boats.. even full of gin, if it fell in the drink it would probably float.. [8|]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday