super rusty license plate

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

the ham man

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've had this license plate for a really long time now and I always thought I would clean it up and see how she looked. I've had a tough time getting the rust off. I have gotten some off but a very small area and it took a long time. I'm wondering if there is an acid that would do the job. I really don't care if the acid takes the paint off if it's even still under all that rust. I can just repaint it. It's just going on the wall or something so it doesn't need to have the original paint or anything like that.

CFADD5B5E7A04493AB0DF2CB94457081.jpg

Attachments

• CFADD5B5E7A04493AB0DF2CB94457081.jpg
    CFADD5B5E7A04493AB0DF2CB94457081.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 82

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Ham,
I would be very careful with acid. I gave my dad a licence plate from 1912 that had brass numbering. The brass survived the acid. The rest was mush. I think he used muriatic.

sandchip

Reaction score
Maybe blasting with baking soda or walnut shells? I think I'd stay away from the acid on this one. Good luck on it.

THE BADGER

Reaction score
HEY HAM,THE ACID I USE IS CALLED OXALIC ACID ITS THE SAME AS THE GUY HEMIHAMPTON USES TO CLEAN HIS BEERCANS JUST TAKE A LOOK AT HOW THEY CLEAN UP.YOU WOULD NEED TO READ HOW TO USE IT FIRST YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL BUT IT WILL CLEAN THE PLATE UP AND USUALLY DOESNT EAT THE PAINT EITHER.SOMETIMES IT FADES ON CERTAIN COLORS BUT OTHERWISE IT WORKS. BADGER

ironmountain

Reaction score
Good ideas. I love Barkeeper's Friend. Works well on almost everything w/o damaging. Naval Jelly is awesome for removing rust too. I had forgotten all about Barkeeper's for that. I always use it on our stove and appliances...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward