T. W. Dyott, His first paper labeled medicine bottle 1798-1805

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Being friendly and helpfull and enthusiastic about everything everyday will open a lot more doors in life then being down trodden and always complaining about everything.

This is a really neat bottle I have had a hard time putting down all day.

I agree wholeheartedly on both counts Steve,...just don't wear that label out....[:D]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have to say unembossed labled bottles scare the heck out of me.
The bottle form seems right. Do you think the label originally wrapped around the bottle? It looks like there was more text? The label looks incredibly well preserved for a bottle of its age. As an early labled Dyott bottle it would certianly be a museum piece.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi, I really hope I'm wrong but hear me out.
Aside from the reasons Matt said there are a couple other things I'm unsure of. One is that it doesn't state which medicine, he had more that one. The second is that it looks like a clip from and old ad he had.
if you read this you will notice that it looks word for word as the start to the ad. The rest looks clipped off.
http://www.manheim1762.org/files/One_Stop_Shopping2.pdf
Again and I hope the experts prove me wrong but if I'm not, I hope you can get your EG back.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
This was the newspaper ad in 1824...

93D12724C24049EC9FAA84B501D04531.jpg

Attachments

• 93D12724C24049EC9FAA84B501D04531.jpg
    93D12724C24049EC9FAA84B501D04531.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 95

saratogadriver

Reaction score
It does look to me like there's more writing below Edinborough, which has been cut off, or the label wore off...

Jim G

Poison_Us

Reaction score
What a hard trade that must have been.
I notice at the top of the label, it would have been some kind of artwork, how far it went, nobody knows (obviously).
The bottom of the label, however, seems to be missing some lettering (you can see just some tops of it), but the label is cleanly cut. Now this could be a mis-print where the paper was not completely in line with the press, but it shouldn't end with "Edinburgh," Clearly there is at least a line of text missing. Just seems odd. But I'm no expert on the acceptable tolerances of early 19th century printing.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I don't get this at all.. the label really seems to be snipped right out of a newspaper, but Steve is way too observant to be duped by something so obvious.. I think I'm gonna put on my flak jacket and watch this thread from minimum safe distance..

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Matt the label is made of cotton rag fiber which is consistent with the time period.I have compared it to Newspaers from the same era and they are almost the same except the label has a sheen to it where the newspaper seems more pourous.It even smells the same as an old newspaper from the late 1700s.As for the missing text there was something attached to the upper portion when viewing the picture,whether or not it was a border or more text which wrapped to the next panel is a good question.The bottle was kept in an old gun cabinet with other bottles.The cabinet had a musty smell to it but the smell on the label was different then the smell I remembered when he opened the cabinet door.It has been documented that Dyotts first bottles were square.This bottle has never seen a harsh environment whatsoever.Its very believable to me that this bottle is an original.
I know my Jersey glass quite well and I am completely confident that the bottle came from Glassboro based on color mostly,but also the type of lip on the bottle matches examples from the same time period.

Eric I see your point but you have to remember vitually all of his advertisments said about the same thing in all of his early newspaper ads.I own 16 newspapers with various ads from Dyott.The font being different in size and style.The section in the newspapers where he describes his Family medicines is using the exact same verbage as the label on the bottle.The difference between the two is the font size and the paper is of a slightly different color and as I said earlier has a sheen to it.This was how he advertised and if the same printers who printed the newspaper ads printed the labels then the type press would be the same.Why would he go to a diffrent printer then one he had an established relationship with through his early advertisments in Newspapers.It is a tough call and I am as skeptile as all of you but I went with my gut feeling.I will continue to research this in the coming days and later I will show you more advertisments later today as now I am late for an appointment

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'd like for us to not respond to this for at least a while. If we're correct it only rubbing salt in a wound. Of coarse that's just my thought but I'm heart broken now, I can't imagine what Steve is thinking.
Eric
Let's keep it available for Mike, Jeff and any other experts (I'm not one), especially those that may be knowledgeable in the use of paper labels during the time period to express their thoughts through PM's if they wish.
I know this seams against open forum but if Steve took such a hit he doesn't need to have the constant reminder.
I'm still hoping that, at the least, someone will come out and say that it may have been common practice to do something like this in 1805 though I'm doubtful.

Steve, let us know how it all ends up, We're thinking of you.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS