Tame Black Cap Chickadees at work. Soon they will fly through hoops.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
RE: Here are some Crows I raised and set free

Hey Julie..Where we work there is a big lake a stones throw from us,and we are only back at the (bird table) for 45 min.But thats a good idea,I may put a bowl of water out to see what happens.Rick

Jim

Reaction score

Very cool, Rick! I have done two baby bird rescues, one was successful and one wasn't. We had a baby starling that fell from the nest. He was here for two days, fortunately mama came back for him. His eyes were open and he ate readily, so that was an easy one.

We also had a house sparrow for three days, but he was messed up pretty bad from falling onto hard concrete. He ate good, but never seemed quite right. After 3 days, he took a turn for the worse and finally succumbed to his injuries [:(]. I've also picked up a few sparrows that knocked themselves out by flying into the porch posts out back, but they just shake it off and fly away in a few minutes. ~Jim

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)

Hey all,...cool topic,.Rick, My friends dad can get the chickadee's to hand feed,... but I haven't mastered it yet,....and thanks for posting the cool picks of your crows,....Did I mention that my friend from years ago had one (a pet wild crow) He named it 'peckerhead' and it could speak a few words of english. Then one night it met the housecats.....Anyhow keep the great bottle pics and stories coming... Adios' Joe

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

Those sparrows wernt polish where they? I mean I can see flying in to windows but posts? hey wait IM polish lol

Hey that name sounds familiar Housesparrow lol

Jim

Reaction score

Yeah, they flew right into the porch posts. I've had two or three of them do it. At first I thought they were dead, but they were just momentarily dazed. They don't bother with the kitchen window much, but I had one that did. I left the feeders run empty one day, and there was a male house finch (red & brown finch) literally hovering in front of the kitchen window. He pecked the glass a few times with his beak, staring right at me with the most p*ssed-off look I have ever seen on a bird! It was kind of weird, but I should have had the feeders filled. ~Jim

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

Yea I feel bad when the feeder isnt filled,even though thay wont starve to death.once you start you should keep feeding them. Rick

towhead

Reaction score

Couple years ago I had a crow that would peck on the window every morning at 7AM....wasnt even feeding any birds back then....poor thing would peck so hard he would bleed....I wondered if maybe s/he had West Nile Virus....or did s/he think it's reflection was something....

Jim

Reaction score

The crow may have been fighting with his reflection. Male cardinals will do that, and they get vicious. You think they would realize after a few hard hits that they can't win a fight with a mirror, but they keep at it for a while. ~Jim

shell4byz

Reaction score

Great pics,
Now I can show my children that it can be done!!!
My brother and I used to have chickadees and nuthatches land on our hands and my four boys don't believe that it could be done. They also have no patience or attention spands either. My brother even would have a nuthatch just sit on his hat when he would walk to the bus stop. We also had a feeder attached to the window where we would stick our hands out with seed over the feeder and they would land on our hands and we would slowly bring our hands inside. Only had one or two in the house to my mom's dismay.
Thanks for the proof!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH