The Best Ebay Reseller Ever!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Black_Boogers

Reaction score
Here's a link to a cornucopia/urn flask that I sold on ebay last February.

Here's a link to a current auction for the same flask.

Notice any resemblance??!!?? I guess I should be flattered and I'm okay with this, but he better not make a profit!! [:D]

bearfan

Reaction score
Hope this not sound bad as it is not meant to be, but...what's wrong with making a profit?? I do not understand why someone gets upset when someone else make a profit off something they bought from them. This is what makes the world go round. If you were happy with what the bottle sold for, then you should be happy someone else may be able to do the same. I buy and resell on ebay all the time. Sometimes I loose, and sometimes I win...ebay always wins. Now what I would have a problem with is he is using your pictures which he did not ask permission to do (I am assuming) this is highly against ebay policy and you can get the auction pulled for this alone. Some buyers get something and it is not what they expected so they re-sell it. Others like myself, look for mistakes and buy them, then re-sell them the correct way. I used to try and help people who made mistakes on ebay, but most either ignored the information or were upset by me trying to help. Now I just buy and make the profit myself.
regards

Black_Boogers

Reaction score
Hi John,

I was totally kidding when I said "I hope he doesn't make a profit". I buy and sell on ebay all the time, also. Sometimes I do well and sometimes, well...not so well. [;)] Actually, I wish this seller the best of luck in his auction.

It just struck me as very interesting that this seller decided to use my pictures and my description of the bottle that I originally sold to him in his current auction.

When I buy a bottle from ebay to resell for a profit (which I often do), I always take my own pictures and create my own description. The thought never occured to me to just relist it a month or two later using the original sellers pictures and descriptions.

I hope he does well in his auction, and as I mentioned, I'm kinda' flattered he used my pics and description in his auction.

bearfan

Reaction score
Hey Rick,
You should be upset he is using your pictures, and worse yet your own description. That is against ebay policy. He is basicly stealing your work. Its as if you worked hard to complete a project and the guy sitting on his muff comes along and takes all the credit for what you did. He is Stealing from you in that respect, It is Wrong and you should notify ebay about it.
Sorry if I sounded harsh above, I did not intend to be. Just trying to make a point, we are all in it for the Moola, we just have to do it the right way...he is not.
JOHN

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Profit is what it is all about. Once I bought an old beer tray on ebay for $175.00. The next day I got an email from someone who wanted it, they said they were unable to bid on it at the closing and really wanted it for their collection. I told them it was for sale for $375. The paid me with paypal the next day. I sold the item, for a profit, before I ever received it. I un packed it, enjoyed it for a few moments and shipped it back out.

As far as the new seller using your pics. That's a no no. I would turn him in to ebay safety harbor asap. Photographs are considered copyrighted even if you don't put the little c in the circle on them. If you sold him the item and then he took new photos there would be no problem. But the photos you took are your property and he has no right to use them without your permission. Like John said he is using your time (which time is money) to make himself profit. Now if he had emailed you and asked if he could use the pic in reselling the flask and you said no problem, that would be fine.

Not only is he violating ebay policy he is also violating copyright laws. He may plead ignorance but that is not an excuse. He needs to learn that he can't take other people property and use it for his own good, that is what I call stealing. You took the pics, he using them without your premission that is theft. It would be the same if he came over to you house and used you lawnmower without your permission. Rick turn him into safety harbor or he will do it again and again. Ebay will probably give him a warning and cancel this listing. They may suspend his ebay use if he has done it before or violated another policies. Please Rick turn him into safety harbor. Everyone on ebay need to be honest.

Lee

bearfan

Reaction score
Bootleboy is right. Flattery is one thing, Stealing is another. Whould you be flattered if this same guy came into your house and took your prize winning bottle and made it his own in his own home without asking? it is the same thing here. report him.

Black_Boogers

Reaction score
Well, apparently the seller reads this forum, because soon after my original post, the auction was cancelled. This morning, there was a message from the seller asking permission to use the photos. I don't really have a problem with allowing him to use the pictures, in fact, I recieve messages all the time from other eBayers complimenting me on the pictures in my auctions and asking what type of camera I use, etc., so I guess people think my pictures are pretty good.

Anyway, since he asked permission, I said it was OK. He should have asked permission before starting the auction, but hopefully he's learned his lesson and will ask beforehand in the future.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
somethings only worth what you can get for it. need i say more?

Ec87875.gif

Attachments

• Ec87875.gif
    Ec87875.gif
    78.9 KB · Views: 111

DublR

Reaction score
I once sold sold 2 Coke thermometers together on Ebay. The auction ended on a Saturday night. By Sunday morning the winning bidder had split my picture in half and had listed the thermometers separately. I hadn't even put them in a shipping box yet. I thought all kinds of things that could go wrong selling like that. I have since blocked the guy from bidding on my items.

amblypygi

Reaction score
He did end up losing money on it too, it sold for $100, 29 bucks shy of what he paid for it. It seems silly to me to try to resell something in the same category it was bought in within a few months of buying it, sorta like that dude in the TV commercial that tries to resell the painting he just bought (must be a bad commercial cuz I can't remember what the heck it's for [:D])

I often make money reselling on ebay, but only if I get something cheap as a BIN or because I find it listed in a wacky category. Good bottle books are often mistakenly listed as BOOKS, can you believe that???

[:)]

Sean

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology