Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

The bottle gods work in mysterious ways.

Fishnemesis

Mar 11, 2021
So I've been thinking about making a bottle tumbler for a while. I'm too crafty (and cheap) to buy a fancy one so I was gonna figure out some way to concoct one. Then I was in a thrift store the other day and saw this. From what I gather it is some kind of lab equipment. I've even found 2 others online for sale (for about 10 times what I paid) but neither actually say what it was originally for. It was not intended to be a bottle tumbler but it's gonna be one now. I don't have to do anything but figure out a cylinder for it now. Does anyone have an opinion on copper vs plastic tumbling medium? (Remember I said I was cheap.) I've got a decent plan for a cylinder but if anyone has thoughts on that I'd love to hear them.

Attachments

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
So I've been thinking about making a bottle tumbler for a while. I'm too crafty (and cheap) to buy a fancy one so I was gonna figure out some way to concoct one. Then I was in a thrift store the other day and saw this. From what I gather it is some kind of lab equipment. I've even found 2 others online for sale (for about 10 times what I paid) but neither actually say what it was originally for. It was not intended to be a bottle tumbler but it's gonna be one now. I don't have to do anything but figure out a cylinder for it now. Does anyone have an opinion on copper vs plastic tumbling medium? (Remember I said I was cheap.) I've got a decent plan for a cylinder but if anyone has thoughts on that I'd love to hear them.
Looks like a small laminating machine. I like copper. I cut up scrap copper electrical wire off the job. There are always scraps laying around. I strip the insulation off and cut into small pieces 1/8- 1/4" long. Tube 4 inch white waste pipe from the HomeDepot
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Fishnemesis

Mar 11, 2021
I think it actually is intended to tumble something. It's nothing more than a motor and rollers. One is fixed to the motor and the other can be adjusted for different widths. The rollers are about 16" so it should work I think. I tried out a round igloo water cooler as a potential cylinder and it looks like it is going to work perfectly. I just need to figure out a way to suspend the bottles so they aren't flopping around. I've got ideas on that but haven't had a chance to try them out.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
I think it actually is intended to tumble something. It's nothing more than a motor and rollers. One is fixed to the motor and the other can be adjusted for different widths. The rollers are about 16" so it should work I think. I tried out a round igloo water cooler as a potential cylinder and it looks like it is going to work perfectly. I just need to figure out a way to suspend the bottles so they aren't flopping around. I've got ideas on that but haven't had a chance to try them out.
Cool. Is it variable speed?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

hemihampton

Oct 6, 2006
To suspend you'll need stopples. The ones I use from Jar Doctor are about 6 inches long each. SO, That means about 12 inches of your Tube will not be holding a Bottle. You'll have 4 inches of room to tumble a 4 inch bottle? Unless you can make your own shorter stopples? Good Luck. LEON.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
To suspend you'll need stopples. The ones I use from Jar Doctor are about 6 inches long each. SO, That means about 12 inches of your Tube will not be holding a Bottle. You'll have 4 inches of room to tumble a 4 inch bottle? Unless you can make your own shorter stopples? Good Luck. LEON.
Bigger tubes are better. I started with 4 inch diameter. I need to get 6 or bigger.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Fishnemesis

Mar 11, 2021
Thanks for all the advice. The Cooler jug I was planning on trying has a 6" diameter but since it is insulated it is about 5" inside. It should work to get me started I think since I don't have anything big I want to tumble. The machine spins at roughly 75 rpm which from what I have read is on the faster side but not out of the range for bottles. It is not variable, but I think I can possibly make it so with an exhaust fan control. I saw one on amazon that this would just plug right into that has an adjustable dial. I know I can change the wheel size on the motor but that seemed like more work than I have the time for. I just picked it up the other day so I am still brainstorming to options. Thanks again for the advice.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
Thanks for all the advice. The Cooler jug I was planning on trying has a 6" diameter but since it is insulated it is about 5" inside. It should work to get me started I think since I don't have anything big I want to tumble. The machine spins at roughly 75 rpm which from what I have read is on the faster side but not out of the range for bottles. It is not variable, but I think I can possibly make it so with an exhaust fan control. I saw one on amazon that this would just plug right into that has an adjustable dial. I know I can change the wheel size on the motor but that seemed like more work than I have the time for. I just picked it up the other day so I am still brainstorming to options. Thanks again for the advice.
I do around 50 rpm's. You can get a variable speed control from harbor freight. Does not work with soft start or brushless motors.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

hemihampton

Oct 6, 2006
Bigger tubes are better. I started with 4 inch diameter. I need to get 6 or bigger.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Bigger is not always better. Bigger is better for bigger bottles, like Quart beers, but for a regular 12 oz. Beer or Hutch you want smaller. I use a 4 inch for regular size Beers or Hutch's & 5 Inch for Quart Beers, Square Bitters, ect., ect., LEON.

P.S. You want no more or no less then 1/2 inch between your bottle & the wall of the tube.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dre924