The Dr. Hartley's Mineral Water bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I have been working on getting this bottle for months now, and I must say it's a bottle like no other I have ever seen. It's by far the best soda or mineral water in my complete collection. I've kept it quiet for awhile, waiting to aquire this thing. I was so fortunate to have it offered to me and feel really lucky to be able to own it. If I don't get another bottle the rest of the year, this one has made my whole year. I got it from a big pontiled soda collector that's a friend of mine. He bought it from the Glassworks auction it was originally in some years back. It's the same bottle Tod has listed on his sodasandbeers site. This past weekend Jim Hagenbuch was at the St. Louis show along with Norman Heckler and some of the other big auction house guys. Jim said he considered it one of the best mineral waters out there, and I would have to agree. A real beauty of an open pontiled mineral water. The form and long neck are quite amazing along with some nice whittle. The short squatty size of the early 1840's examples really is interesting when compared to later more traditional size pontiled sodas and mineral waters. This is from Tod's excellent site...

Doctor F. W. Hartley has not left much of a trail. He was listed for only one year as a druggist on the southwest corner of Third and Gaskill Streets in 1843. Patrick Logan was located at this location as a grocer the following year and Hartley disappears from the Philadelphia Directories. Logan remained at this location well into the 1850s. This is not the P. Logan of the stoneware bottle fame. The Patrick Logan that used the marked stoneware bottles operated the Temperance Brewery on Filbert Street in 1845.

The Hartley bottle appears to have been produced about 1842. Hartley was listed in the 1843 Directory, which was produced in December of 1842 and it seems that this bottle was used during the 1842 summer season. This bottle was likely made in one of the South Jersey glass houses due to its color and the fact that the Dyottville Glass Works was closed down during this time.

000_0399.jpg

000_0404.jpg

000_0401.jpg

000_0406.jpg

bottlekid76

Reaction score
I took a few pics along side some of the later pontiled sodas. I picked a few at random to show some size comparison.

~Tim

000_0412.jpg

000_0432.jpg

000_0410.jpg

Wheelah23

Reaction score
That is TRULY A FANTASTIC bottle! I can't imagine a better soda. You must be sleeping in a cardboard box as of now... But knowing that bottle is yours should keep you nice and warm inside!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Finally got it Chris!

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate it. I really love that bottle!

~Tim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229