The Original Thirteenth Article of Amendment

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sweetrelease

Reaction score
very nice steve! i love this type of stuff. makes you wonder what else might have been "over looked" over the years. i always had a thing for the free masons , seems they had alot to do with the making of this country. some people say the masons still "run" this country today, if you believe that type of thing[;)]. i for one believe there is alot we don't know , but a wise man once said "IT'S A BIG CLUB AND WE'RE NOT MEMBERS" so who knows what is really going on behind closed doors. anyway a very well put together post steve good job.~matt

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Really good and well researched info Steve,.....Very thought provoking too....Old books can sometimes be "Rough sledding" when you're trying to read through them, but very rewarding too....Both of those you posted are vr. interesting. Joe

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Its an interesting footnote in American history. Apparently a case of blundering bureaucracy and poor communications of the times. Had it been officially ratified it may have had some facinating effects on our government. Blame it on Virginia, if no one sees you cross the finish line it doesnt count[;)]

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Gunther it seems Virginia did vote yay on the amendment in 1819 it was recorded in military books at that time numerous ones at that.In fact it is recorded in every book pertaining to the amendments between the period 1805 to 1864.I just cant write it off as a slip or whoops this isnt our law how did this get in there.Someone would have caught it and in the same manor I am saying it was passed they would have said the opposite with facts stating otherwise.
There are no early references to the amendment not being accurate and suspect.You would think that by now someopne would have done better than just saying Virginia didnt ratify the amendment.Something this large being written in countless books and official United States documents just doesnt slip by all these sources for this long.The Eleventh United States Congress was a meeting of the legislative branch of the United States federal government, consisting of the United States Senate and the United States House of Representatives. It met in Washington, D.C. from March 4, 1809 to March 3, 1811, during the first two years of James Madison's presidency. The apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives was based on the Second Census of the United States in 1800. Both chambers had a Democratic-Republican majority.How could this have been wrong for so long without someone championing the amendments apparent non ratification.It doe'nt make any sense to me.I still say when our still young republic was vunerable in May of 1864 following President Lincolns assasination somebody did decide to change the amendment but why and when is a real mystery.It almost looks like it was done violating the today standards of the sunshine law.Anyone else have any thoughts.I think this law would have prevented a lot of the lobbyists from having very little if any power to influence our representatives like they do currently.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Its obvious that at the time a lot of people assumed VA would ratify it. For whatever reason , dubious or otherwise, the proposed amendment was never officially applied to the constitution. It wouldnt be the first time legislation was shanghaied by politicians. But what is done is done.
It certainly has spawned some bizarre discussions on the internet.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I can't imagine a life without all the duke and baron neighbors I have here in the tenements..[>:]

Thanks for resuscitating this one, Sir Steve! [;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Maybe this one will conveniently disappear too... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1137

athometoo

Reaction score
thats why the call them amendments , cause whoever has the most money can or will persuade the governing body to amend it . imo sam

Dugout

Reaction score
Steve, You should see if you can locate House Document No. 398. Documents illustrative of the Formation Of The Union Of The American States. Check on Amazon, that's where we got ours. And there is The Writings of George Washington (which we think your book is a part of) There are 39 volumns. We saw the whole set probably 30 years ago in Montana.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks Renee, Ill have my sister check into that she is a Borders Books regional manager.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2