Things to do when winter is upon us.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

walkingstick

Reaction score
Man, this is rough. This is my first winter in the frozen north and the temperatures drop down to minus 29. This is quite unlike winter, if you can call it that, on the Gulf Coast.

Anyway, I am starting this thread to get some input [sm=lol.gif] on things to do when you can't dig. I will start with a few ideas of my own.

1. Get involved, or monitor, the online interactive bottle price guide, commonly known as ebay and lusting after a few of 'em

2. Fondling my bottles.

3. To overcome my insane urge to buy a jack hammer to help me through 9 feet of frozen ground, just so I can have something new to clean, and yes ... fondle, I now search e-bay for the ultra common, dug, uncleaned bottles just so I can pretend I dug 'em myself and am now cleaning them up. Close, but not quite the same.

4. Recleaning my bottles. (I may have missed a spot)

5. Spend countless hours reading all the posts on this site and responding to a few of them.

6. Looking up the recipe for Opodeldoc and adding it to my recipe book.

7. Playing with my bottles.

8. Going to Digger Odell's site and checking to see if he has gotten around to answering the February 2002 questions yet. (poor guy, he is soooooo swamped)

9. Research ... research ... research and fondling the bottle I am researching.

10. Going to the BLM site just to see if I can narrow the manufacturing time frame down for my bottles just a bit more, and rubbing that bottle.

11. Sitting here typing out this list and realizing just how obsessed I am with my bottle collection ... oh well, better than drugs.

12. Counting down the weeks and days until I can go back to Mississippi and pick up the bottles I left behind, and fondling the ones I have.

OK, some of you folks have lived in the North all your life, so tell me, how do you cope. Have fun!

bearswede

Reaction score
how do you cope.

Cope with what?

PS... Does this help any?

Yw68154.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68154.jpg
    Yw68154.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 79

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Wil, do the same thing you did on cold rainy days down here.

Put on a pot of fresh cut collards, a pot of field peas and speckled butter beans, make some corn bread and some fat pork.

Some homemade brew and a plateful and you got it made.

Then in the spring when you finially figure out how to squeeze through the door, go diggin and work it off so you can start again next winter.[:)]

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Do research, or if you go mad, set up a shooting gallery in your cellar and see how many bottles you can break with a sling shot[:(]

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
HEY WILL,COPINGS SOMETHING ON THE EDGE OF A BUILDING,Dave.
I always figure we,re kinda lucky up here,winter gives us time to regroup for the coming
season.

walkingstick

Reaction score
In truth, I started this just for fun. [sm=lol.gif]I am actually doing very well. I really did need to settle down for a bit and do a bit of research anyway. [8|]

I am grateful to swizzle for steering me in this direction.[:)]

Y'all are a great bunch o' bottleheads![;)][:D] I am happy to be amongst ya.

bearswede

Reaction score
We're glad to have ya, Will... And yes, you are obsessed!!!

Ron

PS...did you ever dream about digging bottles?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks