This is what ya'll been waitin for, PA PONTIL DUMP!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
HEY YA'LL! This is George from the great city of PHILADA as many early bottles refer to it as. I found and dug this dump during this great summer of 2005 in southeast PA. You may have seen PhilaBottles post some of his finds from here months ago. Yes he is a fellow digger of mine. Now I finally get to post some of my finds. I will try to post often for I have found lots of interesting dumps to show ya'll. and it begins.....

this little kid owns the property and gave me permission to dig
DSC04198.jpg

it's on a street that everyone drives past, wow
DSC04201.jpg

the best part of the dump
DSC04641.jpg

hurray a pontil!
DSC04644.jpg

is this for real?
DSC04646.jpg

collapse caught on film!
DSC04651.jpg

don't ask
DSC05764.jpg

i went to the moon for a break
DSC05783.jpg

matt took a skate break
DSC05791.jpg

never do this
DSC05795.jpg

ask matt(PhilaBottles)
DSC05803.jpg

just a few of the finds!
DSC06220.jpg

that porcelain doll head came out of the ground with a clay pipe stuck in it!
DSC06221.jpg

some of the pontils, the Bears Oil is sweet!
DSC06223.jpg

- oh there's a threadless amber insulator in there but it's broken, oh well. I have a bottle to post in the What is it? After 1900 section, please look!

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
Great Finds!!! You Guys Look Like My Kind Of Diggers :) We Should Get Together Sometime & Dig Im Only About 2-3 Hours Away & I Have A Friend Going To College In PA......Let Me Know!!! VaDigger

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk or anything but you got permission from a kid? Anyway awesome finds I would kill to dig at a place like that.

Reaction score
HAHA! Yes that kid came out and told me that it was his property so it would be ok for me to dig. Then I said what would your dad say and he said he doesn't care. Later that day his dad came home and said to me "I didn't even know that was my property, I don't care If you dig it." A week later the dad found out it was his property and all he asked from me was to give him a few bottles to set up on his mantle. Then it was diggin time for real. Oh and VirginiaDigger we should get together. I just graduated Penn State w/ no real job at the time except for ebay. So I'm good to dig untill I get a job that takes up my time. Hopefully I can get an Archaeology Job.

kastoo

Reaction score
Great stuff! Probably more too. Looks like it hasn't been dug by many...dig real deep. Yea I can believe people drive right by it....people overlook a lot...also if they hav been driving that rout since wagons it was a handy place to dump while going to and fro.

Reaction score
Ohhhh when I found this dump I didn't think at all there was a dump there! There was like 5 small pieces of old glass, a piece of pottery, a small agate pot fragment, and some small pieces of coal. It was basically a slope with dirt and leaves. Nobody ever dug there! I dug a test hole into the slope because i knew this is where many dumps are located. I had to dig through a 3 foot cap, you can see it in the pictures, it's the lighter colored soil. What they did long ago was cover the dump with that dirt to hide the trash. So as people were driving by all those 100+ years nobody ever knew it was a dump untill I came by and discoverd the slopes secret! So remember all it takes is a few visible pieces of antique glass on the surface for there to be a huge dump underneath!

dirtflicker

Reaction score
AWSOME DIGS THERE....YA JUST DON'T FIND MANY DUMPS LIKE THAT ONE ANYMORE!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Seeker of Treasure...

George, welcome to the forum and "Oh My God" what a dig... what great bottles[8D]

And how very cruel it was to post so many great bottle photos, knowing that everything in the north is so frozen, we can't get out to do much of anything like diving or digging for bottles[>:]

Only kidding, now I know for sure that I'll be coming down Philadelphia way! gonna be diving everywhere I can...

Great finds!

Wayne

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikis1981