To Dig or Not To Dig?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

H.Jotreshuntin

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I would love any opinions on this site I have been working on. I am going to try an post some pics of some of the finds ect.. Thanks for any info.
The first is a photo of a well/privy?? Where you see the leaves is when it stops. I first thought it was a well but there is no water Just dirt.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the pictures! They don't come through!

Mike

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
DSC00722.jpg

I never could figure why but you use the little thing that looks like a mountain instead of the link insert.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome also. Were you see it stop now is irrelevant. Where was it 100 years before it got filled. To me it looks like a well.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Welcome Hannah Jo,...
Just wanna say,...watch out for false bottom, just in case it was a well,(and they can be quite deep)...Sometimes the old cover would rot and collapse into the well, catching on an edge or protrusion, then building up leaves and dirt over the years....Looks like a cool place. Good luck and be careful.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

DSC00722.jpg
My dad lives up in the mountains,I find a lot of those in the woods where old stone homes once stood.most of them were filled with water. they dug down deep and hit a spring and built a stone liner to retrieve it easier.
I would poke around in it to see whats up,but i wouldn't dig the whole thing out.
98% of the time they are not privys,even is they were privy's I still wouldn't dig them.they had the vast woods to throw their trash.Why muck a little stone privy and dig through the fresh stuff?[:D]

H.Jotreshuntin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This place has really got me. There is a well about 60-70 yds away from this one but it is about 22 ft deep an full of water an the rocks are stacked alot neater. The one in the photo is up on the hill from the water well and has a dump close to it. I will try an post some photos of bottles I've found in the dump . thanks again.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles