tooth pick holder?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, found this today. it's 2 1/4" tall, 1 3/4" across base. i havn't cleaned it that much, looks like the color may be painted on. frt has coney island, 1909 ?, back has mother. is this pressed glass? it has a small chip on top. would this have any value and what was it used for? thanks for any information. rhona

Hf98589.jpg

Attachments

• Hf98589.jpg
    Hf98589.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 70

IRISH

Reaction score
I'd have though it was more likely for alcohol of some sort rather than a toothpick holder, could well be though.
Interesting little item anyhow, I'm sure it is worth somting to the right collector after local stuff.

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Very nice find - it does appear to be pressed glass, and there are a lot of people who collect souvenir glasses like that. Probably toothpick holder but another possibility is holder for wooden matches. The bottom seems unusually elaborate for that type of piece, and I'm kind of wondering if there is any religious significance to the Star of David design, or if it is juist purely decorative.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
the type of glass is called ruby flash .very popular as souviners from fairs at the turn of the last century.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi irish, woody, bluebelle and diggerjeff, thanks for looking and all the replys. i thought of a shot glass as 1st but the uneven top eliminated that. i don't know when tooth picks became popular (sp). maybe matches where more inportant then. diggerjeff is the ruby flash painted on? what would be the best way to clean it. thanks for the information, rhona

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday